» [SS] Lighting the Fuse
by Misaka Mikoto Today at 2:36 am

» [SS] Through the Eyes of the Silent Dolls
by Kinoshita Nori Yesterday at 7:18 pm

» [SS] Chocolate Fish
by Edana Callan Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:33 pm

» Pokemon Discussion
by Oda Taichi Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:14 pm

» A Certain Experiment's End (Arc 3 Epilogue)
by Hujisaka Natsumi Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:26 pm

» [SS] Red Fairy
by Furuhashi Gou Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:53 pm

Important Topics

Affiliates
Board Rating:

RPG-D PPN Top 50
RolePlayGateway

Affiliated RPs:

Castlevania Inspired Original Fantasy RP The Games

Affiliated RPs (-18):

www.AbaddonCity.com (18+)

Spoon-fed by Staff

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Spoon-fed by Staff

Post  Hujisaka Natsumi on Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:00 pm

Over the course of the past few weeks, I noticed a few issues that I believe are unhealthy for the forum. As such there is some points I'd like to address regarding this issue:

First up, I noticed that most members like to have their work mashed up by Guy. What I mean by that is that recently, despite the number of new members we've had, almost none has been participating and the rare persons who have been are relying on Guy to get themselves started.

While I do understand that sometimes ideas don't come up, and it's hard to come up with something, I'm going to have to wonder why is everyone relying on Guy for threads? It was recently stated in the rules that members were free to come up with their own threads. Did anybody request a Sisters Arc-worth complicated arc? No, you're free to do whatever you want in whatever timeline you wish even if it's just a one-day thread, so why all the relying on Guy?

Heck, even if you can't come up with some threads, you can also shoot some ideas and get some ideas shot back at you, that's how threads starts.

This brings me to my second point, relying on the staff.

Both you guys and I know that behind the forum we all have a private life to attend to. No human can stay all day in front of their PC to tend to a forum. As such I'm going to have to request some slight bit of understanding regarding the fact that while the forum only have three moderators (Guy, Misaka and Index, which I believe is enough for this community currently, as too much staff tends to generate in-fights), they also have a life.

We do agree that everyone needs to make a living out of something, or have to focus on their studies in priorities, right? Simply put, tending to a forum is benevolent. The staff works on the forum on their free time and should not be forced to work on it if they are busy with real life. Now unless you're going to bluntly state that the staff should quit their job/studies, I'd like you guys to have at least a minimum of understanding regarding this matter.

I don't like causing commotions or arguments, but this really needs to get addressed or this is going to become unhealthy to the forum on the long-term even more than it already is.

While I am not saying that every member is being spoon-fed by the staff, in fact I believe that some were a great help to the forum, I'm calling out to any of you who reads this thread to reply as I believe this forum could use some cooperation from our members and not just reading the thread and moving on.

Hujisaka Natsumi
Level 4 Ignikinesis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Spoon-fed by Staff

Post  Kyou Rindou on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:43 pm

Too long, didn't read!
I read this through.

My opinion on this matter is that people who join want to be a part of a story, because that's more fun. They don't want a pointless thread where their OC they worked so hard on sits around and has a single conversation with somebody. They don't usually join with an idea in mind for what they want their OC to be doing; they join hoping to jump into the story, because they want to be a part of that.

If you asked me, right now, to give you an idea for a thread we could get a bunch of people in on that wasn't canon, I'd have nothing to tell you, for example. Going small and making a short-term topic isn't appealing, so not only do I not have any ideas, I don't want to compromise and simply make a thread I'm not gonna like or be a part of for very long because it's gonna be short, or have too little action; it might just be a conversation, and that's not enough.

People rely on the mods because they manage the story; they usually can find a spot for you.

Anyway, I'm going out, so that's all I gotta say.

Kyou Rindou
Level 2 Precognition

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yamato Trystan on Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:34 pm

i'm just going to attempt to summarize your argument from how i interpreted it. any response hereafter in this post will be made with the assumption that my summary holds accurate. yay for sounding like a ToS agreement~

"This forum's activity is low because a significant portion of the userbase is relying on guy for RP opportunities/topics. guy, as well as the other mods, obviously have their own priorities other than the forum, so relying on them for topics leads to a vicious cycle of slow activity and eventually forum death."

i'll just respond to rikka's comment first, since it's already here.

i am in complete agreement with what she is saying. i, for one, created an original character because i wanted to see how it'd be like with my own character inserted into a more "canon" plot. obviously, since we are a roleplay forum, we can make our own "canon" as we see fit. this would, ideally, be where we become inspired to create our own threads and involve our own characters into self-created plots. furthermore (this is just me though haha), the generally slow pace of posting by members on this forum detracts even further from the motivation pool to start your own things.

as for other reasons why people might not be making their own threads/plots...

maybe i just haven't read/watched enough of the Toaru XXX no YYY media, but i don't really think that the original source ever really developed the scenes of normalcy enough for us to really know what else goes on in the city other than a constant wave of drug/esper harassment/terrorist/magical takeover events. and really, if we have all those sorts of events going on, why would you feel inclined to roleplay more menial things? however, then the issue arises that if it really was an event of that scale, it would be hard to imagine an admin completely not involved in something like that. have to keep everything within the acceptable bounds, especially since it seems like they have at least a semi-concrete plan of how they want things to proceed with the main arc.

now, i'm not saying that this won't become an issue. i also agree with natsumi that this sort of thing can easily become a vicious cycle. and on that note, just how many of our existing/new members are active? i remember seeing 30 some registered users, but i basically only regularly see 4-5 people's names appearing in the cbox and in the "latest topics" sidebar.in any case, the problem then becomes how do we motivate people to want to roleplay outside of moderator created content? in all honest though, most of this has to come from userbase itself - this isn't a problem that can really be solved just by shame tactics.

::Type::
Esper, Lvl 3

::Power::
Battou Kannon

Character Theme
Rising Justice
Fight Theme

[Event: Empty]|[CD: Empty]|[1: Empty|[2: [Rumor-SS] Intensify - Episode 2]

Yamato Trystan
Level 3 Battou Kanon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hujisaka Natsumi on Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:52 pm

@Rikka: Does a person's imagination limit itself to their character? I'm going to be honest here, I don't believe anyone who doesn't have at least a single goal for his character can make it to the main arc, not for a main role at the very least. If they can't think up of at least one thing for their character, what are they doing here in the first place? To me, that just feels like searching for self-satisfaction of seeing one of their (then again, some just bluntly copy characters from other series) character involved in something big without actually give a damn to the overall plot nor the consequences of random persons joining major stories.

Imagination doesn't limit itself to your character, if you managed to make up a character then surely you must be able to imagine something else? Threads are born because people shoot ideas at each other and reply accordingly, resulting in an overall plot for everyone to join if they wish. What you're saying is to me merely procrastination under the sole excuse of 'the mods are here to find you something'.

Guy was under no obligation of doing so, yet he still tried to help every new member to fit into a new thread and get started. I feel like his efforts to do so are just taken for granted, and wonder if the fact that he takes time and effort to think stuff up is acknowledged?

His role, as well as Misaka's and Index's is to maintain peace on the forum while staying friendly and impartial with everyone. To ensure the forum feels nice to every member and to make sure every member fits in, but that cannot be achieved if no members want to give an effort on their side. He can't do everything by himself, can he?

I have other things to say concerning this matter, but I'll leave it for my next answers. Also, ToAru is known for its' Action and Slice of Life side, if no members are going to compromise to keep that balance, how exactly are we going to handle this RP?

@Trystan: Granted, this universe can seem fairly complex to some members, but my point wasn't that "the staff shouldn't be involved", as the staff they are obligated to do so to ensure nothing goes wrong, my point was "the staff shouldn't have to handle everything while the members are procrastinating".

And while I do somehow agree to your point of making it difficult to determine the norm for an Academy City/Magic Side event, that's probably why everyone talks about it together and come to an interesting story for all to join. And heck, the members are free to ask the staff's help but not making them do everything, even thinking up the character interactions of the member.

Like earlier, I'll keep some of the stuff I want to reply to for later posts.

Last edited by Hujisaka Natsumi on Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Hujisaka Natsumi
Level 4 Ignikinesis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kyou Rindou on Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:42 pm

Fact of the matter is, nobody really comes for the Slice of Life. It's boring. We come because we want to be a part of the action-y story. Slice of Life is fairly entertaining to watch, but boring as watching paint dry to roleplay.

What Yamato said is what I tried to say earlier in the cbox - if there was a thread everyone could muck around in as they wished, that would help them draw inspiration to make their own threads. Creativity isn't just there, it's nurtured. I see Hats here making a ton of SNPCs - she's clearly creative. People like myself have little to no creative talent - our OCs are miracles in and of themselves for us.

If you asked me why I came to the forum, I would NOT tell you it's because I wanted to see the daily life of an Esper in Academy City. I came because I liked the story the series told, and I wanted to be a part of it. My reasoning is the same for just about everyone who joins any RP anywhere.

Kyou Rindou
Level 2 Precognition

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Accelerator on Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:16 pm

Hey everyone. I guess I should weigh in here.

Kyou Rindou wrote:Fact of the matter is, nobody really comes for the Slice of Life. It's boring. We come because we want to be a part of the action-y story. Slice of Life is fairly entertaining to watch, but boring as watching paint dry to roleplay.
Aww, now I don't know about that. I personally find the charm of the series is how it blends character interaction and 'slice of life' with action and elaborate plots. It'd be just another generic shounen series without that.

But that's just my opinion, lol.

Now onto the matter at hand.

Personally I do feel that it's an uphill struggle to get new members involved, which is why I've been reaching out to them for the purpose of coming up with ideas. I do feel there is some responsibility on my part to point players in the right direction and that's fine.

The problem has come less from the players who will be reading this message, but from those who have 'jumped ship' already. You only need to look at our profile section to see what I mean. People are registering, getting characters approved and then leaving before posting anywhere else. Remember that these players were also  given ample opportunity to contribute but for some reason chose not to.

This is frustrating for me, yes. When I see a character with potential abandoned without being given a chance, it makes me wonder what drove them away.

As for those members who join and stay around there are options open to you to start a thread;

Firstly there's the slice of life option. I understand not everyone is interested in this, but it is an option.

There's also the interest check and partner request sections. These are specifically designed for players to post 'advertisements' looking for threads to get involved in. Post that you're looking for something and get together with other members looking for something similar. From there you can start to develop stories that relate to your characters' personal development and plots. (Natsumi does raise a good point in that every character should have a motivation. I personally can't imagine writing a character without having a purpose in mind for them.) Just because a story doesn't directly relate to the main plot, it doesn't make it pointless. The To Aru setting is great because of the myriad of subplots going on at any one point in time, overlapping, foreshadowing and developing characters away from the central plot.

And then there's also the moderator option. Sure, I want to help but my time is limited. The best way to contact me is sending me a forum PM and reminding me if I don't respond. I'm not perfect and sometimes (OK, more than sometimes) I do forget. The problem is that unless you contact me I don't know that you're having a problem. And if you do come to me looking for a thread then please have some sort of idea for what you want from the thread.

I hope this doesn't cause any animosity, as I d think it was important to address. But we all need to consider our part in keeping the RP going. So please everyone, relax and enjoy yourselves.

Accelerator
Level 5 Vector Change

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kyou Rindou on Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:56 am

I don't really understand that, either. Why would you go through the trouble of making a character, just to never use it? I didn't have a plan when I made mine, but I figured I would eventually, so I stuck around, talked to people, and stuff like that. Now I'm in Intensify and Chapter 3.

I agree with Accel, and I'd like to point out that what I said earlier was biased; I believe most people don't go to the show for the Slice of Life parts, but there are those who do. Then again, those same people might not want to RP Slice of Life. If they wanted something like that, there's less extraordinary series' they could look at, like Lucky Star or something.

Kyou Rindou
Level 2 Precognition

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yamato Trystan on Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:16 am

first @guy: we're definitely not trying to get into each others' hair here. just a serious, mature discussion lol

anyways, we're veering slightly off-topic here, but i believe that the issue of having characters that never gets played is partially caused by the problem we're discussing here as well.

namely, as natsumi chose to put it, that the members are relying on guy/the admins/mods to give them a place and a plot to play with. unless something they feel comfortable playing with comes along, they'll just let their characters sort of sit there in inactivity until they lose interest with the site itself and leave.

speaking from my own personal experience, this is especially true of rp sites with a small core group of individuals. after the rp has gone on for some time, it becomes hard to insert your character into the group, as the existing group of characters have all developed so many interpersonal relationships that it's just awkward to insert yourself. they have their inside jokes, their past histories, and all these other sorts of details that really just serve to intimidate and alienate the new members. however, in the course of any good Rp, this sort of thing is inevitable.

the new member will also have problems picturing their character(s) really being in the spotlight. this one is truly harder to avoid, especially because by definition, many of the plots must have a Certain very Unlucky Individual be center-stage. furthermore, because certain characters have been here longer, oftentimes they are really the only logical choice to choose for the role of the one in the spotlight of a particular plot. this may involve a variety of reasons, be it an IC power level, or certain knowledge or expertise with a certain villian, or etc.

of course, the 'core' members in question all say that they are not going to exclude anyone like that. the truth is often exactly that; once the new member sucks it up and asks for a roleplay with someone, they're generally taken into the fold and things go smooth sailing from there. however, the act of "sucking it up" is oftentimes a hurdle new members can't really bring themselves to do. in many ways, it's exactly like in (god forbid) real life - where one would oftentimes prefer not to try to insert themselves into an established group of friends simply because of how close they already are.

as for the interest check sections and stuff, i'd refer back to my previous point about how people don't really know what they would be doing. speaking personally, i fall into that group - all i know are random conversation threads that not everyone enjoys, and senseless generic thug-comes-i-beatdacrapouttayou-wow-we-got-introduced threads XD. there's honestly enough of that going on within the main arcs/plots/rumors, so i don't really see what good another one of those threads would do - especially if/when my character is already participating in the aforementioned arcs/plots/rumors. i'd be willing to bet that a lot of the new members would also fall into this sort of category.

i believe that this problem of ours really has more to do with the personalities/psychology of a new player rather than something we as a site are doing wrong. honestly speaking, our mods/admins are great. they're really helpful, friendly, and get stuff done (when they're actually online and are not otherwise preoccupied haha). this is one of the reasons why i kept coming back to the site to check on it even though my character couldn't be logically involved with any of the then-ongoing plots at that point in time. this is a great site and setting, but like any rp, it's up to the members what they choose to do with it.

i said it earlier, but i guess i'll say it again. i don't think that telling the current members via an open thread that "you're too old to be spoon-fed by momma. grow a pair and stop relying on her" is going to do much of anything.

maybe we should (at the risk of sounding jaded) instead change our approach and appeal to the inner spot-light hog that resides within all of us. who wouldn't want their OC to be the lead of their own story?

so here's my suggestion - allow player submitted rumors. this gives a very concrete message to the new members that they can be the spotlight of their own show. if you force them to plan their rumor out, they will then have an objective. they will start thinking about how to structure these events, how their character will interact with others, etc, and etc. then, the members who still can't think of how to proceed can join these player-made events, get a feel for their character, establish their own circle of rp mates. once they're comfortable enough, they can plan their own events to make themselves the spotlight.

maybe the words sound grating, but i believe that the inner hog is an unpleasant issue that needs to be addressed.

Esper, Lvl 3

Battou Kannon

Character Theme
Rising Justice
Fight Theme

Yamato Trystan
Level 3 Battou Kanon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleister Crowley on Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:52 pm

Trystan, I can certainly see what you're saying, and I do feel that there's room for that in the RP, but it sort of skirts the main issue.

To cut a long point short it can't be down to any one person, me or otherwise. It needs to be a group effort. If you can't think of an idea talk to other players, between the lot of you someone should be able to come up with something. We have a lot of creative players here, after all.

From there on however you've got to keep the thread alive yourselves, but that's another topic for another thread.

I also find it kind of frustrating that you mention player submitted rumours when the very topic is mentioned in the Urban Legend thread itself. You can argue that it's not made obvious, but when it's mentioned in the opening paragraph I'm not sure what else I can do to ensure people are aware. We've always encouraged players to develop their own plots and stories, and I'm not sure why people think otherwise.

As for the interest section, here's a basic run down of how it works.

1) Post a thread saying that you're looking to get involved in an RP and include any ideas/specifics you have in mind (say, 'I'd like something action based, possibly involving magicians.' or whatever). Perhaps something that might be relevant about your character (e.g. He/she's a former mercenary working as a member of Anti-Skill who hates magicians and believes the Catholic Church killed his/her family etc). Bump the thread, mention it to other players, draw attention to it and get people looking/thinking.

2) From there another player might get an idea from what you've written ('Hey, my character's a magician with a psychopathic streak, maybe your character can hunt them down after finding out there's a magician in the city?) , or perhaps they're also looking for an RP but don't know where to start (my character's an Esper and a member of Judgement. What if they were to team up to take on the Science Cult?)

I could go into how to come up with ideas, but again that's kind of another topic.

Hopefully you all see where I'm coming from. Just help each other out. If you want to become a 'main character' in the RP then you need to make the effort to get involved.

Aleister Crowley
General Superintendant of Academy City

View user profile http://academycity.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Yamato Trystan on Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:00 pm

i guess i missed that part then; it's been awhile since i last checked the rumor thread haha. i'll admit that it wasn't a very thoroughly thought out solution - it was just the first thing that came to my head in the spur of the moment lol.

and Aleister - of course i, and probably the rest of us, see where you're coming from. honestly i don't think anyone in this thread has a different opinion from you on the matter at hand - that this problem that natsumi brought up can only be addressed by the members in question themselves.

on the other hand, i don't really see how my point is 'skirting the main issue', as you say. in fact, the overall message that i am trying to convey is pretty much the same thing that you are - that this isn't really something that the admins themselves can take care of, that this is more an issue that the members have to resolve on their own. the difference between what we are saying is that you believe the cause lies somewhere other than where i personally think the cause lies. since i believe the cause lies with a timid new player mentality, i've been trying to justify my belief. as the end main issue is in agreement, i believe that discussing what might be actually causing this issue is more productive.

these following things, of course, are all just my own personal experiences. i guess i'm just getting it out there beforehand that i'm not trying to project my own experiences onto other people. on the other hand, i do believe that what i say can at least hold a shadow of the truth in terms of the tendencies of timid people.

once again, speaking for myself, i've never been in a leadership position in any RP, let alone in real life. why is that? it's my own personality, not wanting to step up into that position and etc. i can be a most helpful supporter, but put me in a leadership position and i immediately want to run and hide. you might say that "leadership" would be nothing less than a mod or an admin position, but in truth it's really in the eye of the beholder; the only one who can judge how much the sense of responsibility weighs on someone else is the person in question. i'm a bit ashamed to admit it, but with certain things, i'm as much of a sheep as it gets. Creating a topic/rumor with a large overarching plot and getting started with things is one of them. doing something like index did with war of the roses would be completely out of the question for someone with a personality like mine. i can create a character just fine, but wanting me to create a whole plotline/mini-world for an event to take place in is way beyond me.

(yes yes, go ahead and laugh - my threshold for "responsibility" and capacity for world creation is ridiculously low lol.)

as far as 'making the effort' goes, sometimes it really just doesn't get you anywhere. i've spent months on other sites with a far higher post rate than this one and never became anything other than "that guy"; the core group insulation was far too strong for someone with a personality like mine to penetrate.

On the other hand, i'm not saying that i feel this site has the same impenetrable wall, but the fact remains that if there was something that we just aren't aware of that's causing this misconception, we should still be looking to eradicate that cause as well. if it isn't something we're doing and just general timidity of the members we are attracting, then what should we do to make them feel more welcome and willing to experiment? what kinds of members with what kinds of personalities are we attracting? first-timers? seasoned veterans? veterans in terms of time involved with roleplay but not in quality of output? i think these are all things that we would inevitably have to consider if we wanted to really push to address this issue.

Esper, Lvl 3

Battou Kannon

Character Theme
Rising Justice
Fight Theme

Yamato Trystan
Level 3 Battou Kanon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hujisaka Natsumi on Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:29 pm

As for how it is 'skirting the main issue', I may be wrong but I believe Guy is talking about the fact that most members rely on him to even think up of a plot for their characters. Most of the time they don't even come up with a base idea, just "I'm bored and want to get started".

I'm well-aware that not all of us can be ultra-creative, and I would like to not be called creative myself but the issues lies within the fact that some members just make a character and it stops there. No planning, no plot lines for their characters, nothing. They just wait for someone to give their characters a purpose or a role.

In itself, I would find nothing wrong on my end of asking Guy, or anyone else at that matter, some help if you had a base idea but couldn't develop it. Yet there's not even a base idea, just waiting to get a role while stating they're bored.

The matter you are addressing, correct me if I'm wrong, is regarding the members' timidity as first-timers. Yet it's not just limited to RPs, look at students. If a group was made, then naturally a new member would feel out-of-place or late to the party. I won't deny that I had a period of feeling this myself in here, that's a somewhat natural feeling.

But I don't think the problem lies within us being able to make them more comfortable at some point of the line, we're always trying to think ways of doing so. I don't know what we can do if members won't even have enough value in themselves to try to participate and become a full-fledged part of the community without feeling that they're out of place, it comes from the member's psyche.

I'm well aware that the issue you're speaking of is just as important, but yet it's not the issue that I wanted to bring up. I want to bring up the fact that some members just try to 'fit in' by relying on others and not doing things by themselves on the sole excuse of "non-creative".

I believe a RP should be a place to let free your imagination, what happens if everyone says they don't have any?

Hujisaka Natsumi
Level 4 Ignikinesis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hiroshi Saito on Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:32 am

The main issue I will be addressing is participation (even though I myself may be guilty). A few people that I have seen would like to participate yet do nothing in the way of pitching ideas or putting themselves out there for others to pitch in.
One requirement of anything that you want to do and have fun with is effort. If one does not put effort into a task, then they will not get much out of it. Pretty much a classic example of you reap what you sow. Now I can understand someone putting in effort and no one paying attention to them, but most of the time that doesn’t happen. Participation in anything is always a group effort. The success of the individual is related to the success of the group. Meaning that if you can help out others, you can set yourself up in a position to be better able to participate in things because of involvement in the community.
This brings me to the second point; people relying only on mods to help them out. If you are to participate in a group activity, then talking only to one person is not very productive. It can and may give you ideas that you can work with but if you don’t make an effort to share them with the community, then it would be the same as not participating because it’s a inclusive process of development.
In all I think that if we want to participate in something that we can find fun, and others can find fun in, it has to be a group effort. It doesn’t rely on one person to make it just work. It’s a team effort but it can also come down to the motivation of the individual.

Hiroshi Saito
Level 0 First Class Volunteer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  [Old] Index on Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:51 pm

Haha... mmm where to begin.

Well this certainly has been a long read for me and so I'll try to address my opinions on the topic at hand.

But first.

Ok now that I got your attention and Mikoto's at Mikoto's expense lol!

Relying on Guy.
I've been gone for several weeks so I can't really say anything on this but in comparison to the number of times I've seen people approach Guy for answers, I hardly if ever receive pms or questions. I'm not sure if this is the same for Mikoto but I was thinking, if you guys had any questions you could approach either myself or Mikoto with your queries as well. I admit I've been out of commission for a long while but back when I was still active I never got questions. I also got the impression that sometimes my opinions are somewhat ignored. I don't know if this is because I'm a bit more strict about certain things than Guy is... It got me wondering if this is the reason why nobody really asks me for advices.

Communication Zero.
Well adding onto the first point, how often do people try to establish communication with the mods? Personally I have yet to see anyone coming up to me to discuss about plot ideas or theorycrafting (I do enjoy talking if anyone hasn't figured it out and these two are areas I enjoy discussing about with others). If not with mods how often do we have members discussing these things amongst themselves? I dare say very little... I mean I won't blame anyone if they don't have any solid ideas and depend on us for ideas (I honestly don't mind this) but as of late I feel convinced that some of the ideas I came up with in recent times weren't really interesting for others.

I feel maybe most of our members don't really like side plots altogether. Usually I see either Mikoto or Guy wanting to participating and maybe a member or two who either wants to or is sitting on the fence about it. I can understand that sometimes some of my ideas aren't to everyone's liking, no harsh feelings there. Though it would be nice to hear back from members who might have other ideas they want to flesh out so I could design one that might cater to everyone's interests.

Hard to Inject myself into Community.
Oh totally. It probably isn't easy, I know it wasn't either for me as well. Trying to understand who these 10~20 rpers are in a new community is difficult for new arrivals. Even more so asking them to join a rp thread which is 30 pages long can be quite intimidating no matter their experience and creativity as a writer. I experienced it first hand so I'm well aware of the issue at hand. The general idea I had was to allow these rpers to slowly ease into the community by allowing them to interact and rp with some of our members in a side plot threads but so far I haven't been very successful in tempting the newer rpers to try one out.

As disheartening as this might sound, I thought the issue could be fixed easily but without the group effort it's really proving to be more difficult.

TLDR; I think we need to communicate more often! =D

[Old] Index
Dedicatus545

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hujisaka Natsumi on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:03 am

Rewritten due to the fact that I wrote the original message quite late at night and didn't like the outcome of it the next morning. Hopefully, it's better this time.

Relying on Guy.
To be honest, I don't have a precise idea of why he is the only/main one approached, I'd think Misaka gets mainly approached for Radio Noise related stuff, but that's just what I think.

Thinking about it, the only idea that'd come up to me for Misaka would be because she rarely joins us on chatbox due to her busy schedule, perhaps excluding her as a first idea of who to ask for some members? As for yourself, I'd guess most members think you're not lenient on ideas/not willing to talk them out due to the fact that you've only posted in Profile Applications, War of Roses/OOC and the Activity Check thread, giving them some kind of misjudging based on those threads? Let's take in account that, unfortunately, some members don't really like having to think up what they consider to be 'minor' details, too. Again, I'm just throwing thinking to the wall.

We don't exactly discuss much with the OOC Chat being mostly deserted, and the timezone of the members makes it difficult to participate actively in chatbox together, and then again sometimes they're just not willing to talk at all. And that brings me to the communication point.

Communication Zero.
Communication is a necessity, otherwise we wouldn't be a 'community' of RPers, but I can't help but feel that some members just don't give a damn about it. I witnessed first-hand members who'd just wait to get a spot to post, not willing to participate in OOC threads (which, by the way is deserted, important so I said it twice) and barely ever talking on chatbox at all.

While I did try to live up the OOC chat a bit, practically no one visits the OOC chat section and it soon got buried, which is somehow not motivating. I wasn't thinking at first that something as strict as a 'rule' of a minimum participation would be effective, but now I'm wondering if that'd be a way to make people understand that the focus shouldn't just be on their self-satisfaction of getting a character somewhere, somehow but also on participating actively in the community.

Community. As anyone would have, I went through that case. Some of you may know, while English is my first language, I don't think I'm a genuine 'native speaker' and have not talked for eight years prior to my joining to the forum. As a result of this, I was at first apprehensive of how fluent the English was in the forum compared to my own considering this is also the first RP I've ever participated in. So it's not as if I didn't understand the matter of being intimidated. But at some point, the effort must come from both the staff to make it an enjoyable place, but also the member. If they don't feel like they can fit it even after efforts then I don't know what we can do to help them, considering that as I said, we're always thinking of ways to do so.

I really think we'd need to put the accent even more on the chatbox and OOC section if we want some members to communicate. Also, I know I may be sounding harsh, but I'm not putting all members in the same basket here.

Last edited by Hujisaka Natsumi on Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:25 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Hopefully better rewritten)

Hujisaka Natsumi
Level 4 Ignikinesis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Misaka Mikoto on Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:45 am

Ok, I had written up a fat post in reply, but then my computer just totally crashed on me, so I'm just going to rewrite a very short version. I think the most important issues have been addressed already by various people anyway. To be perfectly honest, I've been very much out of the loop lately due to my busy RL schedule and limited internet usage. I want to take this opportunity to apologise for my frequent absences and say a huge "thank you" to Guy for filling up the gaps I left due to my lack of attendance these past months. Perhaps the fact that he's such a fantastic admin/mod is the reason why so many people turn to him for ideas/ advice. XD

It is rather frustrating when somebody joins the forums, creates a character and then never shows up ever again. But that's the way the internet world works. It is up to the person behind the screen name to take responsibility, but sadly, that's not always the case. I don't know if we'll ever reach a proper solution regarding this issue of participation and commitment, and it's an issue that persists in every forum in the internet world, I'm sure.

That aside, I think it's also important for everyone to realise, as Natsumi said, that we all have RLs that are more important than this forum (well, maybe that's my opinion ;P). Let's face it, roleplaying is for pure entertainment value. How important this is to somebody will vary. Group work is difficult- and yes, rping requires an enormous amount of group effort and communication. Every individual is different- they can give to the community in different ways. Everyone also has a comfort range, although hiding behind a screenname tends to extend that range quite alot. This isn't a solution as per se, but perhaps we need to re-evaluate what everyone's strengths are and willing to put in. Personally, I think it's quite fair that the people who "put in" more usually get the "most out" of rping. Ie. They contribute more to the story; their character gets more screentime, and their character becomes the more developed. As such, I think it's an issue that tends to resolve itself with time.

Having another method of communication would be a great idea. Otherwise, encouraging people to come on chat as soon as they join; to get to know them more "personally" and they to you so that they feel more "at ease" within the community would be the general way to go. I've found in the past that people who tend to stick around are those who have developed a special attachment to the site via connections with the people on the site. Perhaps there could be more activity in the general chat, to find other common interests out of the Toaru realm. Such aspects may be vital to the "feel" of the community.

Also, just a suggestion to all- keep your ideas and minds open! I noticed the talk of "slice of life" and such... Like Guy, I've always been very much keen on slice of life, because I believe that's where all of the REAL character development occurs- through daily interaction. Again, everyone's bound to have different opinions on this topic, and it's up to them to decide whether or not they enjoy/ like it, or whether or not they'll join a slice of life thread. But maybe, the reason why you don't like such rps is because you have never tried rping such scenes properly! Believe it or not, once upon a time, I used to intensely dislike slice of life scenes in rp. Yes, I thought it was boring and a waste of time! Why must my character sit around eating hotdogs with another character, when they could be going around being awesome and firing blue rings of fire from their finger tips for example? That's so boring, right? But really, keep your mind open! Just a single conversation with another character could later change their course of action in a different scene. Just one single sentence from another character might help your character realise something and start their path towards something new! The possibilities born from slice of life scenes are endless and that's what I find so fascinating about them! In a hard-core action scene, you usually have a winner and a loser. In a slice of life scene, everybody has something to gain. It's the character interaction in roleplays that I find so rewarding!

Anyway, enough of my babbling. That's all from me, for now. Smile

Spoiler:
"Mikoto speaks"
'Mikoto thinks'

Misaka Mikoto
Level 5 Electromaster

View user profile http://academycity.forumotion.co.uk/t81-esper-misaka-mikoto

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum