Welcome to A Certain Alternate Universe

Board Rating

Sister Sites

Affiliates
Affiliates (-18)

Topsites

Latest topics
» A Certain Missing Esper (Arc 4 Main Story)
by Guy Li Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:57 pm

» Amaryllis - A Semi-Realistic Lion RPG
by Guest Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:50 am

» Between the lines (Arc 4 Side Story)
by Masaki Chiyo Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:17 pm

» [SS] A Certain Valuable Remnant
by Kumokawa Maria Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:08 pm

» It's a pleasure meeting you.
by Kumokawa Maria Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:57 am

» Myriad Paths | Immortal Cultivation RP
by Guest Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:37 pm

» ✨???? moon power! a sailor moon roleplay
by Guest Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:15 pm

» [SNPC/Magician] Nabuki Kenozuya
by Leivinia Birdway Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:33 pm

» Ichinose Mitsuki ( esper )
by Shokuhou Misaki Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:59 pm

» [Esper] Kakira Denji
by Shokuhou Misaki Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:33 pm

A Certain Alternate Role Playing Game~☆

+2
Erin Lightheart
Vita Vesta Caesar
6 posters

Go down

A Certain Alternate Role Playing Game~☆ Empty A Certain Alternate Role Playing Game~☆

Post  Vita Vesta Caesar Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:18 am

To be clear, a DnD type of RPG, not a roleplay (we have the forum for that) or an RPG as in MMORPG (we have FFXIV for that). But anyway, the idea of putting one of these together has floated around in the box a couple times, but nothing came of it. The last few times, anyway.

This time, something did. A thread! The purpose of this thread is to gauge interest, track information, discuss, brainstorm sessions, decide systems, and otherwise serve as a hub for any RPG-related activities we may undergo.

So interested individuals, individuals with ideas, collective hivebrains with interest or ideas, post here to store your contributions for posterity in a way the chatbox cannot and revive the general chat subforum!!!

As of now, the primary questions we need to answer are: What RPG system are we going to use? How are we going to organize the game? By a vote of several for and none against, a Discord server has been created. Who will be the Game Master? I am currently the only volunteer, and as such am poised to win by default.

The Case of Reichenbach Falls

The locale is the island city-state of London, a great hub for trade and commerce whose economic power across the world is growing in real time. Governed by a council of representatives elected by the city's people, though crime and thugs may be found on the rainswept city's streets, those in power are largely free of corruption. A city with all the potential in the world to flourish.

But one day, without rhyme or reason, all entrance and exit to the city was shut down by the council. No one in, no one out. They gave no cause, no forewarning, and as of yet no indication to how long it will last. The councilmen are garrisoned in their homes, and the city's guards have all been sent to protect either the borders of the city or the councilmen, leaving none to maintain the public order. In just one short week, crime has festered and syndicates, gangs, and other criminal organizations have risen to power in the streets.

Your adventure starts there. A band of ragtag adventurers is offered a job as muscle by an enterprising young woman with a strong desire to bypass the blockade and leave the city, and for reasons ranging from a desire to do the same, the pay, a womanizer's habit, and beyond, they accept. Navigate the crime-filled streets of London. Escape the city or uncover the plots hidden beneath the surface. Having begun your adventure, the choice is yours.

This post will be updated upon further developments.

Interested individuals:

• @Dkoyoko
  • @Libertas719 (DM)
  • @Lemouri
  • @KKohaku
  • @Slrarthryng
  • @Elnendil
  • @Tempus373
  • @AlexanderBeathen
  • @Ivaman

Last edited by Vita Vesta Caesar on Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
Vita Vesta Caesar
Vita Vesta Caesar
Invictus648

https://academycity.forumotion.co.uk/t486-magician-vita-vesta-ca

Back to top Go down

A Certain Alternate Role Playing Game~☆ Empty Re: A Certain Alternate Role Playing Game~☆

Post  Erin Lightheart Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:05 am

I've always wanted to try playing as a Witch in Pathfinder, myself.
Erin Lightheart
Erin Lightheart
Primiceriatus999

Back to top Go down

A Certain Alternate Role Playing Game~☆ Empty Re: A Certain Alternate Role Playing Game~☆

Post  Hakusho Tsuru Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:50 pm

I like to roll stats and make a character based on what I roll, myself. Leads to some fun shenanigans when you end up with a weird stat allotment, though it does also lead to having some characters that start with less stats than others. But hey, who said that all characters are created equal? It's not what you have, it's what you do with it.

Now, for the three main questions.

One, which system. Now, I've played a few different systems myself since every GM has their own preference, but there are two main types. The first are traditional D&D based which I am sure everyone is familiar with. The second are point-buy types like GURPS or Scion where each character is allotted a certain number of points which can be used to buy stat points and skills, and negative traits can be taken which increase your points instead of costing them.

That said, I definitely prefer the D&D style because it's flashier, and more familiar to most people. That does leave the question of which edition, so let me drop my thoughts on that.

First, 3.5e. 3.5e is awesome, wonderful, and glorious nostalgia. Plus I have the Players Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual so I totally wouldn't need to try to find a good PDF to browse for rules which is always a plus. That said, as I would prefer not to DM, only one of those actually matters... Anyways, I would be happy to play a 3.5.

Lem mentioned Pathfinder which I've heard of but never played, and from what I hear is 3.5+ so as long as I can find the necessary handbooks for that I'd be fine with.

4e, just no. It homogenized classes way too much to make interesting characters in it.

5e, never played but heard good things about. Just browsing it, it looks to be pretty cool, and I've been wanting to give it a shot. This would be my preferred if other people were willing to, but I'm pretty fine with anything tbh.

For organization, as I said on the box, probably would be best to do something like a play-by-post on a Discord channel, as time zones would make organizing times when all of us are online hell. Think FFXIV, but worse. Yeah, no. Using one channel for IC actions/words etc, another for stuff like die rolls, and a third for OoC discussion as the game proceeds reasonably slowly but steadily seems best to me.

As for the third question, I call not it!
Hakusho Tsuru
Hakusho Tsuru
Level 1 Kami Kami

Back to top Go down

Post  Vita Vesta Caesar Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:31 pm

Discord sounds good to me, though I must insist that the option of IRC remain on the table as well, just in case I have any allies.

It's good to see we have people who know about these systems, as I am a complete neophyte in regards to this subject. So I'll trust you guys' judgment and just tally the votes (or maybe make a poll?). Ah, and I do appreciate the primer, Slrar. Really helpful. Both Pathfinder and 5.0 sound really good to me, so I've no objections to either.

And as for GMing, I'd be fine to volunteer, but as mentioned before, I know little to nothing about how this works, so I'm probably not the best candidate.
Vita Vesta Caesar
Vita Vesta Caesar
Invictus648

Back to top Go down

Post  Erin Lightheart Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:16 pm

I'd also like to throw in the suggestion that since many of us are new to this, a simpler system like the Maid RPG can be useful for learning the ins and outs of system-based play.
Erin Lightheart
Erin Lightheart
Primiceriatus999

Back to top Go down

Post  Takamiya Jin Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:28 pm

I don't know anything about this Maid RPG, but I'm not really concerned about simplicity. Tabletops in general are pretty noob-friendly, unless you're a party of munchkins which I'm sure most of us aren't. Plus we have enough experienced people to walk the new players through whatever we decide to do.

That said, my vote still falls for D&D for a few reasons, mostly nostalgia, and it being the system I am most familiar with, which would put me in a much better position to help out our less experienced comrades.
Takamiya Jin
Takamiya Jin
Level 3 Spatial Lock

Back to top Go down

Post  Vita Vesta Caesar Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:29 am

Checked Maid RPG, and it looks fun, but I agree with Slrar insofar as simplicity is concerned. If everyone agrees it looks fun, then we'll go for it, regardless of what it is. Unless it's some hellishly difficult and complicated behemoth no one hear knows anything about.

Also, news! Slrar's convinced me to bite the bullet and volunteer as GM. So unless we have another candidate, that's happening, it looks like. Also, I've taken the liberty of going ahead and making a Discord server. Here's the invite link.

Also, at this point Slrar's done a good job at pushing me to the DnD side with his enthusiasm. But on the other hand, Maid RPG looks better and better the more I look at it...
Vita Vesta Caesar
Vita Vesta Caesar
Invictus648

Back to top Go down

Post  Oda Taichi Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:14 am

Honestly, don't count me in for this thing. Considering I'm already playing two different games my time for these things are pretty full already and this will only stretch things further. So I'll only observe and if you any advice come my way, I played enough to know a thing or two about pathfinder.
Oda Taichi
Oda Taichi
Level 0 Auto-Rebirth

Back to top Go down

Post  Mugino Shizuri Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:04 pm

If there's still a place. Count me in. I will be an annoyance, tho.
Mugino Shizuri
Mugino Shizuri
Level 5 Meltdowner

https://academycity.forumotion.co.uk/t333-esper-mugino-shizuri

Back to top Go down

Post  Vita Vesta Caesar Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:14 pm

Quick update since the opening post contradicts Alex's: his mate convinced him to join us after all (bless him) and so his previous statement has been rescinded.

And sure, Iva, come on in. The more the merrier (and chaotic-er)! Just grab the Discord invite (the ones in the thread here should be permanent) and join us in discussion and character creation. Make sure to peruse the pinned messages!
Vita Vesta Caesar
Vita Vesta Caesar
Invictus648

Back to top Go down

Post  Oda Taichi Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:37 pm

A discussion has occurred on the discord and it seems to have settled but for reference, I will re post my stance on here regarding the activity. I only came here because it was a side activity for the entire forum to engage in and have no intention to put this as a priority above this forum even my other Pathfinder games.

Mainly because in the eyes as a member here, this was just a hobby to do when there is nothing to post in. Secondly, it shouldn't be a problem because I usually am good with my posting rates. And thirdly those other Pathfinder games happen once every three weeks. I mentioned them before evening joining this so you have to take them into consideration. They normally voiced sessions and often hard to organise, but since I was in them first they have priority. But they occur once at best 3-4 weeks at a time so they shouldn't be an issue.

I'm posting this here so it doesn't get ignored because its lost in the history notes of discord. I'm happy to take part to have fun, but if this is an issue feel free to discuss this with me and if nothing can be settled I rather walk away from this thing.
Oda Taichi
Oda Taichi
Level 0 Auto-Rebirth

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down