Welcome to A Certain Alternate Universe

Board Rating

Sister Sites

Affiliates
Affiliates (-18)

Topsites

Latest topics
» A Certain Missing Esper (Arc 4 Main Story)
by Aoki Aiko Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:54 pm

» Amaryllis - A Semi-Realistic Lion RPG
by Guest Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:50 am

» Between the lines (Arc 4 Side Story)
by Masaki Chiyo Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:17 pm

» [SS] A Certain Valuable Remnant
by Kumokawa Maria Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:08 pm

» It's a pleasure meeting you.
by Kumokawa Maria Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:57 am

» Myriad Paths | Immortal Cultivation RP
by Guest Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:37 pm

» ✨???? moon power! a sailor moon roleplay
by Guest Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:15 pm

» [SNPC/Magician] Nabuki Kenozuya
by Leivinia Birdway Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:33 pm

» Ichinose Mitsuki ( esper )
by Shokuhou Misaki Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:59 pm

» [Esper] Kakira Denji
by Shokuhou Misaki Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:33 pm

The Empress' Amateur Translation Thread

2 posters

Go down

The Empress' Amateur Translation Thread Empty The Empress' Amateur Translation Thread

Post  Vita Vesta Caesar Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:55 am

So, earlier this evening Koyoko shared an image, then promptly begged asked if anyone would be so kind as to translate it soon after. Seeing an opportunity to put Koyoko in my debt practice my fledgling Japanese skills, I decided to do so. I didn't have else to do at the moment, after all. After an hour and a half of juggling between Google Translate to write in unfamiliar kanji so I could copy paste them, Tangorin to learn what said kanji mean, and Google Keep to jot down my resultant translation (all on my phone, which likely significantly lengthened the time), I had a somewhat awful and mildly incomplete end product. ...It does, however, get across the meaning well enough, I believe.

In the end, it was good practice and it helped me broaden my vocabulary a bit (though my main issues with it were regarding conjugation). And when I considered that, I thought it might be nice to try and translate some more stuff to put more people in my debt improve my Japanese further.

And from there, came the idea of this thread. If you have any short passages or images you'd like translated, and don't terribly mind if the result is a few degrees askew of perfection, post it here. I'll do my best to translate it.

This is what I was asked to translate by Koyoko, and he was apparently introduced to the image by Shiro. http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=46237332

Page 2

絹旗: 浜面!浜面!超映画観に行きましょうよ!こんな可愛い女の子が抱き着いて誘ってあげているんですよ?もちろん行きますよね!

Kinuhata: Hamazura! Hamazura! Let's go to a super movie theater! Such a cute girl is clinging to you and inviting you, you know? Of course you'll go!

[Note: I could not figure out how 着いて or あげているん fit into this sentence, mainly because I'm a tad confused by the conjugation and am having a bit of trouble working out what the original word is. Judging from the kanji, however, 着 has something to do with clothing, and あげ is the reading for 上げる, which can mean to raise. So even though I can't fit it into the sentence, it's probably safe to assume that 着 has something to do with Saiai's light state of dress, and あげ is either an abbreviation of 'Shiage' or is referring to Saiai lifting Hamazura off the ground. Thanks to @Hyokas (Sogiita Gunha) for the corrections and explanations. The issues have been fixed (I hope).]
---
Page 3

絹旗: 浜面!浜面!超映画観に行きましょうよ!こんな可愛い女の子が抱き着いて誘ってあげているんですよ?もちろん行きますよね!

浜面: ………。

Kinuhata: Hamazura! Hamazura! Let's go to a super movie theater! Such a cute girl is clinging to you and inviting you, you know? Of course you'll go!

Hamazura: .........
---
Page 4

浜面: ………。

Hamazura: .........
---
Page 5

浜面: そうだな

Hamazura: Is that so
---
Page 6

浜面: 最近、行ってなかったし

Hamazura: Recently, I haven't gone

[Post-Edit Note: I'd originally translated ’最近’ as 'right now', and interpreted ’行ってなかったし’ as 'can't go' in an attempt to make it fit, but a more correct translation would be the current version. Thanks to @Hyokas (Sogiita Gunha) for the corrections.]
---
Page 7

浜面:今日は——

Hamazura: Today is-----

Last edited by Vita Vesta Caesar on Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:07 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Applying Hyokas' corrections.)
Vita Vesta Caesar
Vita Vesta Caesar
Invictus648

https://academycity.forumotion.co.uk/t486-magician-vita-vesta-ca

Back to top Go down

The Empress' Amateur Translation Thread Empty Re: The Empress' Amateur Translation Thread

Post  Sogiita Gunha Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:56 am

Ohoho, you got guts trying!

BUT, you need work my friend!

Vita Vesta Caesar wrote:[Note: I could not figure out how 着いて or あげているん fit into this sentence, mainly because I'm a tad confused by the conjugation and am having a bit of trouble working out what the original word is. Judging from the kanji, however, 着 has something to do with clothing, and あげ is the reading for 上げる, which can mean to raise. So even though I can't fit it into the sentence, it's probably safe to assume that 着 has something to do with Saiai's light state of dress, and あげ is either an abbreviation of 'Shiage' or is referring to Saiai lifting Hamazura off the ground.

In this context, 着いて will be for "wrapped". As you can clearly see, Kinuhata is totally clinging to Hamazura. You're correct that あげ is 上げ. Again, you have forgotten the context! When you give someone something, you can also use 上げ. This is to emphasize the value of this "invitation" from the "cute girl clinging to you".

Vita Vesta Caesar wrote:浜面: 最近、行ってなかったし

Hamazura: Right now, I can't go

This is incorrect! 最近 is "recently", and is made up of 最 "most" and 近 "close". 行ってなかった means "have not went", meaning that Hamazura has not gone to the movie theater recently.
Sogiita Gunha
Sogiita Gunha
The 7th Level 5

Back to top Go down

The Empress' Amateur Translation Thread Empty Re: The Empress' Amateur Translation Thread

Post  Vita Vesta Caesar Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:30 pm

Wow, I didn't expect to actually get corrections. Thanks a bunch, Hyokas. I'll be sure to fix the errors later.

Sogiita Gunha wrote:In this context, 着いて will be for "wrapped". As you can clearly see, Kinuhata is totally clinging to Hamazura. You're correct that あげ is 上げ. Again, you have forgotten the context! When you give someone something, you can also use 上げ. This is to emphasize the value of this "invitation" from the "cute girl clinging to you".

...Well, at least one of my guesses was sort of right. I was a bit hesitant because it was in hiragana.

And regarding 着いて, I somehow didn't actually find any verbs using 着 in my dictionary of choice. I managed to glance right over them over and over until now. ...How embarrassing. Looking at the conjugation, I'd assume that it's 着く, but that means 'to arrive' or 'to reach'. It seems like 着す would be the perfect fit, since it means 'to insist on, cling to, or adhere to'. But would have been 着して, right? Am I getting the conjugation wrong, or did 着く absorb the meaning of the meaning of 着す, since it's apparently an archaism?

Sogiita Gunha wrote:
This is incorrect! 最近 is "recently", and is made up of 最 "most" and 近 "close". 行ってなかった means "have not went", meaning that Hamazura has not gone to the movie theater recently.

Hm, Tangorin listed that as a definition, and I thought it fit better than the others, but cross-referencing with other dictionaries, it seems to be the only one... I'll have to be more careful about that in the future.
Vita Vesta Caesar
Vita Vesta Caesar
Invictus648

Back to top Go down

Post  Vita Vesta Caesar Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:40 am

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaSLIG5VIAUeV-s.png:large

グダコ:ブリュンヒルデ可愛いけどちょっとあの。。。

Gudako: Brynhildr is cute, but she's a little...

清姫:愛が重すぎて 少し怖くありません?

Kiyohime: Her love is too heavy, it's a little scary?

---

I also attempted typesetting it. Here's the result: https://i.imgur.com/wBitw71.png
Vita Vesta Caesar
Vita Vesta Caesar
Invictus648

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down