Welcome to A Certain Alternate Universe

Board Rating

Sister Sites

Affiliates
Affiliates (-18)

Topsites

Latest topics
» A Certain Missing Esper (Arc 4 Main Story)
by Kira Kohaku Thu May 09, 2024 7:13 am

» Amaryllis - A Semi-Realistic Lion RPG
by Guest Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:50 am

» Between the lines (Arc 4 Side Story)
by Masaki Chiyo Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:17 pm

» [SS] A Certain Valuable Remnant
by Kumokawa Maria Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:08 pm

» It's a pleasure meeting you.
by Kumokawa Maria Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:57 am

» Myriad Paths | Immortal Cultivation RP
by Guest Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:37 pm

» ✨???? moon power! a sailor moon roleplay
by Guest Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:15 pm

» [SNPC/Magician] Nabuki Kenozuya
by Leivinia Birdway Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:33 pm

» Ichinose Mitsuki ( esper )
by Shokuhou Misaki Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:59 pm

» [Esper] Kakira Denji
by Shokuhou Misaki Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:33 pm

A Certain Missing Esper (Arc 4 Main Story)

+6
Kira Kohaku
Guy Li
Hujisaka Natsumi
Aoki Aiko
Kamijou Touko
Aleister Crowley
10 posters

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

A Certain Missing Esper (Arc 4 Main Story) - Page 16 Empty Re: A Certain Missing Esper (Arc 4 Main Story)

Post  Saito Hirashi Sat May 07, 2022 10:24 am

The voice took Hirashi by surprise, had Miss Scary Eyes been wearing that all this time? How could he not have noticed it earlier? Hirashi hid his annoyance as he eyed the device from the side of the van.

It seemed Miss Scary Eyes was very attached to Silver Hair, attached enough to die for her it seemed. Miss Scary Eyes’ comments may be passionate, but Hirashi reckoned a professional such as her should know her limits.As much as that voice from the choker annoyed him, at least it had brought Miss Scary Eyes to her senses, and brought Hirashi some much needed information.

I know Ai-chan and Tsu-chan and Sai-chan are strong too, even if they don't realise it."

Hirashi, as usual, took note of Gown Girl’s glance in his direction. It did not seem to have additional meaning, just an unconscious glance. But that just served to worry him more, did Gown Girl know something about him?

The van came to a stop in a narrow alleyway and the group made a painstakingly slow journey to the hideout. Hirashi was no stranger to sneaking around, in fact, it was something he did frequently during his previous “investigations''. Hirashi smiled a little as he was finally doing something he was familiar with, blending into the background as the group made their way forward.

After listening to a comment from Baseball Cap on a potential lead named Dr. Marcus Reiner, Hoodie Girl and Miss Scary Eyes was advised to obtain the information they needed from his office.

"Kisaragi and I could probably manage to sneak in and steal the Dr. Reiner's files on Kurama. It wouldn't be our first time doing something like this. What do you say Kisaragi... and I guess Choker-san too. If you can hear me.

As much as Hirashi hated to admit it, those two were probably the groups’ best choices. As much as he liked sneaking about, he could not compare to Hoodie Girl’s ability and Miss Scary Eyes’ skill.

« - So stay out of my way.»

But Miss Scary Eyes, who was silent until now, shut down the suggestion, and spoke some uncomfortable truths in the process. Miss Scary Eyes wanted out, and that was most unfortunate news. However, Hirashi would not be able to make her stay, certainly not by force, and he did not know her well enough to gain an emotional hold either. At least she volunteered to finish the mission, it will no doubt be a success in her hands.  
The voice from the choker, as disturbing as it was,  did seem to have interests that were aligned with theirs. Hirashi wondered how the voice would react to Miss Scary Eyes’ comments. In the meanwhile, Hirashi began to look around the safe house for small sharp objects. After the last time, Hirashi would do well not to relax too much during his stay here.
Saito Hirashi
Saito Hirashi
Level 2 Kinetic Flux

Back to top Go down

A Certain Missing Esper (Arc 4 Main Story) - Page 16 Empty Re: A Certain Missing Esper (Arc 4 Main Story)

Post  Watabe Tsubasa Sat May 07, 2022 9:29 pm

"Then we'll head back to Aizawa's," Reina said. Tsubasa nodded and sent a brief message to her coach, letting him know of their current situation. While she was on her phone, she did hear the rest of Reina's talk.

"I know Ai-chan and Tsu-chan and Sai-chan are strong too, even if they don't realise it."

Tsubasa didn't say anything to that, she didn't even react. At least, she believed that she did not. Unbeknownst to her, a faint smile was decorating her lips.

The van did a few maneuvers during their journey to throw off any potential pursuers. The group disembarked and walked a good distance on foot. When they made it to the hideout, Tsubasa rushed to talk to Aizawa who was standing next to some bodyguards. He gestured for them to leave so that the two of them could speak freely. He asked the girl a few questions, and she answered him to the best of her abilities. Truthfully, however, she did forget a lot of important details. For example, she did remember that there was some mercenary organization after them and that Naoto mentioned a doctor — a psychiatrist, to be exact — and a fellow named Kurama. How they all fit into the picture, Tsubasa didn't really know what to tell her. She didn't really have the greatest memory nor did she comprehend most of this stuff anyway.

"Aizawa-san, you should probably talk to the others. I don't really remember the complicated things they mentioned, haha..." she admitted. Scratched her head in embarrassment and laughed awkwardly.

After a lingering silence, Tsubasa felt something amiss. This long silence was very uncharacteristic of this man. Usually, he'd be blowing her ears off with his yelling about how she put herself in danger and whatnot.

"Aizawa-san? Sir?" She probed cautiously for an explanation.

A heavy sigh came from the man in front of her.

"You could have died back there, Watabe." His voice was grave. He seemed to be lost in thought. His face looked strained. Was he second-guessing his prior decision about letting her participate in this operation? She needed to quell his worries quickly.

"Heyyyy, don't worry, dude! We dealt with it like real pros! We all returned alive, haven't we? And I'm not alone, I have friends with me this time!"

The man cackled in delight. "Who're you calling dude? I'm still your manager. But you do have a point. This is the first time I see you this much at ease around anyone, not even your teammates. It's good to see you making actual friends," he nodded in approval.

To hear the girl call those people friends was very uncharacteristic of her. Aizawa was glad that she seemed to be opening up to others. He was proud of the progress she seemed to be making in terms of interpersonal relationships in such a short time. He could recall the days when she would refuse to even speak to anyone. However, as much as this seemed to be sweet and wholesome, he needed to make sure she was safe in the company of this group. He would have to look into their background in more detail after all of this was said and done. Some of them did seem to have quite shady activities. He truly wished for Tsubasa not to be dragged into such life-threatening perils again, if he could help it.

Far away, was Aoki heading towards their new ally. The two weren't close enough to hear what she was telling the other girl though.

"Come on. Let's hear what the others have to say about the information you've given me." Aizawa suggested. It was probably vital information if it was coming from that girl. He didn't want to miss what she was saying.

The singer and her manager headed toward the rest of the teenagers. While they were walking, Tsubasa pondered on Aizawa's words. He was correct. Completely correct. She never truly opened up to her dance teammates, did she? Upon some introspection, she realized that she was just projecting her insecurities on them.

I've always been harsh on those guys, haven't I? They are always nice to me. And I didn't even bother to be genuine with them. I should properly apologize to them next time when we have a training session.

As they approached the others, they heard Kisaragi declare that she will do it alone.

Do what alone? Tsubasa wondered, as she didn't hear what Aoki's suggestion previously was.

«You people will stay here for a bit, then switch hideouts. I know a guy, his name is Komaba. He can probably provide you with some more.»

This rubbed Tsubasa the wrong way. It pushed her buttons in an irresistible manner. So she did the only thing she knew to fight back. She lashed out. "What the fuck?! Who do you think you are? What gives you the right to decide for us what to do?" Tsubasa squeezed her hands into fists in frustration. Kisaragi's face looked so punchable right now.

«This has nothing to do with you anymore. And all you will do is drag me down. Don’t be mistaken: I appreciate the hand you’ve given me, but that’s as far as I can let you go. You people are weak. Frail. Breakable. It’s a miracle you survived this far.»

Weak.

Frail.

Breakable.

Weak. Frail. Breakable.

"Shut up," she mumbled, almost in a whisper, while Kisaragi was still talking. Her own voice didn't seem to reach anyone's ears.

Weak. Frail. Breakable. Weak. Frail. Breakable. Weak. Frail. Breakable. Weak. Frail. Breakable. Weak. Frail. Breakable. Weak. Frail. Breakable. Weak. Frail. Breakable. Weak. Frail. Breakable. Weak. Frail. Breakable. Weak. Frail. Breakable. Weak. Frail. Breakable. Weak. Frail. Breakable. Weak. Frail. Breakable. Weak. Frail. Breakable. Weak. Frail. Breakable. Weak. Frail. Breakable. Weak. Frail. Breakable. Weak. Frail. Breakable. Weak. Frail. Breakable. Weak. Frail. Breakable. Weak. Frail. Breakable. Weak. Frail. Breakable.

The cruel words kept repeating in her mind. She felt dizzy. Vile words were still probing at her ears, dismantling the bravado that shielded her innermost insecurities.

"Shut up." Her voice cracked.

Cold sweat covered her.

"You're—" The words were stuck. A bitter lump had formed in her throat.

You're wrong, she wanted to say. But she couldn't, for she knew the girl was absolutely correct in her estimation. Tsubasa was indeed weak, frail, and breakable. When triggered, her psyche was as fragile as glass. And the truth was on display for the world to see, to witness the real weakness of her heart —

Threatening to uncover long-buried memories.

"Y-You're joking, right? No... No. No. You're lying! You're all lying to me! He can't — He told me we'll sing together again next time. His dream is to be a musician. You all know that! He still isn't one. So he can't die yet! He has to live. He said he was feeling better when I visited him yesterday. No, no, no! He — He's my best friend! My brother! You won't take him away! Give him back! AAAAAAAAAAH!", young Tsubasa was desperately wailing, screaming, crying.

Her family was trying their best to calm her down but to no avail. She spent the best part of an hour yelling and crying. Only after having exhausted all of her energy, and her voice becoming sore, did she stop resisting them.

"Hajime... You liar... You can't die yet. You just can't..."

Aizawa could feel Tsubasa tensing up next to him. She didn't look to be faring well, and her stare was vacant, soulless. This worried him greatly. He never saw Tsubasa be so shaken by something in his life. She seemed to be reacting to the new girl's words.

«So stay out of my way.»

"I think you've said enough, young lady." Aizawa said sternly, his eyes unforgiving.

https://academycity.forumotion.co.uk/t1003-esper-watabe-tsubasa

Back to top Go down

Post  Shokuhou Misaki Mon May 09, 2022 11:03 am

With her clique now in motion, Shokuhou Misaki finally reached the point where she could allow her own exhaustion to catch up with her. To say it was severe still could be considered an understatement. Thus she had sought the company of a nearby wall. If it wasn’t for Guy to speak up, she would have completely forgotten about any of the circumstances and collapsed right then and there. «I’ll take a breather while you get changed. No offense, but walking around like that will attract even more attention than usual.» He wasn’t wrong, but at the same time her response wasn’t overly enthusiastic, more drained.

It wasn’t that she had begun enjoying running around in a getup this revealing, nor had she grown dull to the fact that she was covered in blood tanks to the surgery. No, it just was that as a middle school girl her limits had long since been reached and breached. «Just give me a moment…alright? I just need to…» Before she was even able to finish her sentence, her mind had already slipped as she sunk down against the wall.
Shokuhou Misaki
Shokuhou Misaki
Level 5 Mental Out

Back to top Go down

Post  Kisaragi Anko Mon May 09, 2022 11:15 am

A Certain Missing Esper (Arc 4 Main Story) - Page 16 Marybe11
«Hey. Hey! Hey! Wake up! Wakey wakey time!!!» A voice rang as Kohaku would return to consciousness. It wasn’t the most familiar voice, yet at the same time it was still one she had heard. One she was likely to remember and associate with gunfire, bloodshed, merciless violence, and ultimately death. At least that’s what its owner was hoping for. Carefully, fumbling to remove the piece of cloth that had served as the blindfold, Marybeth would become the first sight the girl would take in. Smiling in an odd friendly, facing her with the hollow hole where her eye was supposed to sit «Welcome back in our beautiful world!» . And that over the top jolly act had been oddly non-charming.

«Marybeth, can you cut the theatrics? Your hospitality is becoming annoying.» Another voice cut in; the obvious bad cop. Very unlike the one-eyed lady’s, that voice was entirely devoid of emotion, clean, calculated, but also hard to process. It was as plain and unrecognisable as the person itself. What Kohaku would see upon guiding her attention towards the other individual was a whole lot of nothing. A figure as though made from shadows, surrounded by shadows. A thing that made even less sense in their current setting: A brightly lit, tiny compact room with white walls all around. The lighting was so bright, it may have been blinding at first. The room wasn’t extremely clean, but at least tidy as the only other things in the room were few boxes in a corner, stacked onto a metal shelf. Beyond the two who had spoken, another man in military gear stood in the corner behind the shadow figure, making the room almost cramped.

Kohaku sat at the centre, tied to a chair at arms and legs using cable binders.

«But isn’t that important? This is how you win the hostage over, playing on the stockholm synrome, you know? You get to know your hostage, befriend them, share things with them and learn back from them», she retorted in an overplyed voice as she returned to a proper upright stance. «Besides, what the hell are you doing here anyway? This is my specialty, you know? So just let me do my job. Maybe you’ll learn something from that, too? Yeah? Yeah!»

Once done with fighting back for her own dignity, her remaining eye jolted back towards their prisoner. «So what about you? How do you feel? Want anything to drink, a snack, or something else?»
Kisaragi Anko
Kisaragi Anko
A Certain Average Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Kira Kohaku Sat May 14, 2022 9:15 pm

It was far from the subtle, yet persistent annoyance of being awoken by a drop of water falling from a leaky ceiling. It was like a bad alarm clock. Loud. Blaring. Dissonant and disconcerting. Moreover, all of it was punctuated by the glaring of what were probably a scant few lights near her and the sight of the one-eyed woman who was now standing before her.

There was no charm in the over the top jolly act.

If anything it added to the dissonance of the sudden awakening. She could not even move her arms and legs. No matter how much she tried, she was bound. Clearly, she was a captive.

Given the company of people that had put her in this situation, Kohaku could not deny that she could feel her heart pounding.

So, they’re not just the Skill Out faction.

Between the one-eyed woman and the shadow in the corner, there was something abnormal that put them beyond the level of mere thugs. In this situation, none would fault her for going into a full panic. Being the hostage was never anything that could be called pleasant.

No, think through this. You’re tied up so your options are limited. Think on what you can do.

Of course, it wasn’t that easy. Kohaku knew better than to make a tactless retort about the fact that the woman had explicitly mentioned Stockholm Syndrome. Her options were limited. The eternally tactless girl had found a modicum of tact. The girl with a seemingly impenetrable calm found that cracking.

She didn’t even know what happened after she lost consciousness or whether the injured person she was helping had made it out. Even so...

There’s value in keeping you alive. Whatever that value may be, it’s not like I’m on a razor’s edge just yet.

In that case, the answer was clear.

“I think I’d like a glass of water if you don’t mind.”

It was only natural to be thirsty in a situation like this, right?
Kira Kohaku
Kira Kohaku
Level 4 Diagnosis Touch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guy Li Sun May 15, 2022 8:47 pm

As Reina listened to Anko's sharp and biting response a rising anger boiled away in the depths of her chest.

«This has nothing to do with you anymore. And all you will do is drag me down. Don’t be mistaken: I appreciate the hand you’ve given me, but that’s as far as I can let you go. You people are weak. Frail. Breakable. It’s a miracle you survived this far. And it’s obvious you’re not going to make if you keep trying to bite more than you can chew.»

Who did she think she was? Talking down to them, after everything they'd gone through. After all they'd achieved. The fact they were even alive was proof that they weren't as weak as she claimed. And what had this woman got to show for all her proclamantions of superiority? She'd lost just as much as they had, escaped by a hair's breadth just the same as they had. Beside her, Reina heard Tsubasa bark back.

Anko paid her no heed.

«So stay out of my way.»

That was it. The final shove that pushed her over the edge.

"I think you've said enough, young lady." A voice of reason interrupted, but Reina spoke over him.

"Nothing to do with me!?" Reina's voice cracked with emotion, becoming a bellow far louder than one would expect that small body could muster. "This has everything to do with me!" A gulf had formed formed between Anko and the others and Reina crossed it without hesitation. A step towards the older girl who, without question, could crush her in an instant if she so chose. "If you're so capable, how come you weren't able to save that friend of yours? How come you followed us all the way here? And how come when I look at you all I see are the colours of regret!?" Reina's eyes opened wide, staring through Anko's body with the focus of a needle. "You say we're weak, but you're no different. We're all weak here. And the only way we'll be strong is if we work together!"

"Ah, so it's like that..." Imai was whistling a tune to himself. Kenji approached him with a swagger that lacked its usual bravado. Even if he hadn't seen a first hand demonstration of the red haired killer's skill, he could tell by a glance that there was a vast difference between the pair of them. When he pulled a gun it was to threaten. When he delivered a beating it was to intimidate. When he used his 'gift' it was to dismantle an obstacle.

But this man in front of him was someone for whom violence was a first and only resort. He was someone for whom the act of fighting was as easy and as natural as breathing. When he drew a weapon or raised a hand, it was for one purpose alone.

To kill.

So Kurama Kenji kept his distance and his guard up.

"What is it?" He kept his words short. As if by saying less he gave the assassin less of an opening.

"Nothing, nothing." Imai slipped the phone back into his pocket. "Things are falling into place just like I said they would, despite that lady's interference." He covered one eye and mimicked Marybeth's signature expression to make it clear to whom he was referring. "We'll keep this just between us for now. No need to involve the others." He approached Kenji and the shaven headed boy didn't flinch. He wouldn't show weakness, even if every cell of his being urged him to back away. "You've got potential, though. Might even make it as one of us if you paly your cards right. So I'll walk you through a couple of things..." Imai threw an arm around Kenji's shoulder and urged him to follow.
Guy Li
Guy Li
A Certain Mysterious Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post  Aoki Aiko Sun May 15, 2022 9:43 pm

«No. I’ll do it alone You people will stay here for a bit, then switch hideouts. I know a guy, his name is Komaba. He can probably provide you with some more. »

"What the fuck?! Who do you think you are? What gives you the right to decide for us what to do?"

«This has nothing to do with you anymore. And all you will do is drag me down. Don’t be mistaken: I appreciate the hand you’ve given me, but that’s as far as I can let you go. You people are weak. Frail. Breakable. It’s a miracle you survived this far. And it’s obvious you’re not going to make if you keep trying to bite more than you can chew. So stay out of my way.»

"Shut up. Shut up. You're—"

"I think you've said enough, young lady."

"Nothing to do with me!? This has everything to do with me! If you're so capable, how come you weren't able to save that friend of yours? How come you followed us all the way here? And how come when I look at you all I see are the colours of regret!? You say we're weak, but you're no different. We're all weak here. And the only way we'll be strong is if we work together!"

Aiko almost didn't believe the words out of Kisaragi's mouth. She'd do this alone? Ha! She can barely use a computer without help. But more than that, everything out of her mouth was an affront to everything this group had been through recently. Aiko was mad. She didn't need Reina's ability to know how her new friends were feeling. Tsubasa was distraught, and Reina had managed to push beyond herself and tell it right to Kisaragi's face. However still, Aiko was mad. Like she could tell how the other were feeling, as Aiko stood up from the computer chain it was clear to the rest of the room how she was feeling. As Aiko walked towards the others, the atmosphere in the room changed. The relatively subtle change when Aiko used her ability was this time anything but. Sparks danced around her hair and the temperature of the room began to rise rapidly. Aiko stopped her approach briefly next to Tsubasa to deliver what would normally be her trademark comforting hand on her shoulder, though this time her grip was a bit too tight, and her eyes were locked at Kisaragi. Before speaking a word, she took a few steps closer, raised her arm, and slapped Kisaragi across the face with the full force of her frail arms.

"What the hell are you talking about! Every word out of your mouth trivializes the struggles my friends here went through. And if you think I'm going to sit here and let you talk to them like that, partner or not, you have another thing coming."

With each word out of her mouth, the temperature in the room continued to spike.

"Weak and breakable? Stay out of your way? Don't make me laugh!! The people behind me are some of the strongest people I know. They aren't trained fighters or veterans of the dark side. They're normal people giving it their all... and look how far they've come. Reina is right though. Maybe you or I could get somewhere with power alone, but as a team we make it so much further. That's the reason we're partners in the first place right. Why WE are a team. So cut this shit out, sit down, and let discuss how we're moving forward as a team."

Aiko was out of breath. It wasn't like her to get so worked up. For some reason, what Kisaragi had said got to her. Had gotten under her skin and hurt the people around her. Sweating both from the temperature of the room and her own exasperation, Aiko looked right at Kisaragi and pointed at an open chair.

Level 3 Electron Shell

Back to top Go down

Post  Kisaragi Anko Fri May 20, 2022 1:31 pm

Their reactions had been as expected. There was no way, this group would peacefully accept a declaration of this nature. But that was why she hadn’t held back on anything. And also why she had already been prepared for the worst. One of them had their spirit shattered, while their manager assumed a demeanour of scold in their defence. The other two were extremely riled up. As the slap landed a clean hit on her cheek and the room temperature had rapidly increased, Kisaragi’s attention shifted over to Aoki Aiko. Even as it stung and reddened her flesh, the kunoich remained unphased. There was something else that did, though. Had she always been hiding this terrific face of hers?

However, the one who drew her in the most was the small one. What was her name again?

«And how come when I look at you all I see are the colours of regret!?»

Of course, that ability to look beyond one’s facade was a force that came to play here.

Of course, she would speak of things she had no right to.

That was the final straw.

«Strong? Don’t make me laugh.», she retorted almost immediately. Her voice devoid of the anger that prying girl’s comment had ignited. «It’s a miracle that you even made it this far. Don’t you see it? Because of your actions a lot of people died tonight. Innocents. And those that should have been more capable than any of you, too.» She may have been cold in her statement, but her emotions became all the more vivid. There was nothing that could deny the fact that their and her own actions had cost others their lives. Not even during the massacre they had just escaped but all of this incident.

«Who is next? A grandma who accidentally happened to pass the scene? One of you girls? Or that glasses uncle?»

It was then that she finally let it seethe through. Not intentionally, but because her emotions had begun to spiral out of control.

Death. Death. Death. It was her steady companion. Arimoto Yosuga. The Harada siblings. Ichigo Ai. These were all people that hadn’t needed to die. None of them had deserved it. And no one else should. Neither these three girls, the glasses uncle, the grandma, nor the nosy boy.

Nobody. Except…

«It’s time someone assumed responsibility for their actions. And that will be me. I’ll handle the rest. I’ll save Kohaku. I’ll take down these monsters. I’ll destroy it all.»

That was her conviction.

«If I get hit in the process, so be it.»

Someone had to shoulder it all.

«So get out of my way.»

Words couldn’t reach her anymore. She was deadset.

«Good girl~!» Marybeth flushed a smile so polite and forcedly charming it was disgusting. Then she stepped away for a moment, headed for the boxes parked at the walls of the room, rummaging for something. When she returned to the hostage that something would turn out to be a standard PET bottle of water. «It’s not a glass, but that’s all I can offer.» She spun the bottle open, only to pause for the sake of precautions. «Don’t worry, we didn’t drug it or anything. It’s just plain old water.» Did that make any of her actions more trustworthy?

Still smiling like the worst salesman of the century, she held the open bottle out to the girl, expecting her to somehow sip on it, but also not minding the occasional drip.

«By the way: Name’s Marybeth. 33 years old. Occupation: Gun for hire. Hobbies: Drinking, partying with the gang, fishing, knitting, and speed dating. What about you?»

Politeness. Hospitality. Small talk. The three foundations of socialising. Warped to the understanding of a woman who had long since abandoned society.
Kisaragi Anko
Kisaragi Anko
A Certain Average Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Saito Hirashi Mon May 23, 2022 8:55 pm

As the girls voiced their feelings, Hirashi, as Hirashi does, observed and filed away more information. Gown Girl is likely to possess psychic abilities, while Hoodie Girl’s power can now be narrowed down to something involving light, visible, radio, and infrared. Mad Biker likely has past insecurities and both her and Miss Scary Eyes probably need therapy.

The atmosphere of the room is getting charged, but Miss Scary Eyes’ cool facade had finally dropped just a little, enough for Hirashi to grip on to what he perceived to be the cogs working in her brain and hopefully make a breakthrough.

“I guess everyone's had a turn eh? I don't know anyone here well enough to speak for them, so I’ll just speak for myself. And first I have to say that I have no interest in dying, in fact, I would not still be here if I was not confident of making it out in relatively good health.”

“But I should also be truthful about another reason I am staying, especially considering the present company.” Hirashi continued whilst glancing at Gown Girl, “I fear we have all already gotten too involved to back down now. Given our adversaries’ resources, they probably know who we are and where we will be in our normal lives. They have already shown they are no strangers to violence, so for us- no, for me, the only way out is through.”

“I have a personal interest in yours and this group’s success. I am acutely aware of my own limitations, but I know what I am good at, I am able to help.”

“If you feel personally responsible for the terrible things happening around you, then do not let your stubbornness create more.”

Hirashi did not want to lose such a valuable ally and also did not want to be microwaved by Hoodie Girl, so it was a bit more pushy than Hirashi would have liked, but they were running short on time.
Saito Hirashi
Saito Hirashi
Level 2 Kinetic Flux

Back to top Go down

Post  Watabe Tsubasa Fri May 27, 2022 9:08 pm

The outburst of the two girls was the most unexpected. Thanks to Aoki's firm grip on her shoulder, Tsubasa was pulled back from her memories at long last. She was exhausted, mainly emotionally drained, but she was finally listening, with great intent, to the current verbal exchange. She was fascinated by the other three's self-confidence.

Aizawa had noticed the subtle change in her mental state so he walked up to her.

"You okay kid?", he asked with genuine concern.

"Y-Yeah, yeah. I'm fine, yes. I'm okay. Don't worry."

The man, dissatisfied with her bravado, put his hand on top of her head and pulled her face closer to him, and whispered. "I didn't ask you so that you give me a sugar-coated answer, idiot. I can see you shaking. Tell me the truth, damn it."

The girl let out a heavy sigh and whispered back. "Honestly? I'm pooped. I am barely standing up. But I'll be okay. That much is true. I — Well... I know this will sound cliché, but thanks to you and the others, I no longer have to face my fears on my own. So, I think I'll be okay. No, I know I'll be okay."

After everyone else finished talking, she took a few steps closer to the girl who initiated this whole debate.

"Kisaragi. I won't pretend I'm cool with what you said, because I'm not. I'm still bubbling with anger. But, I also agree with what everyone said, we need to fight together. None of us will survive on our own. We're a team. At least, that is what I hope. Believe it or not, I am not a team player, usually. This is a first for me. Haha, you can ask Aizawa-san here and he'll confirm it —"

"It's true, she's a lone wolf and a knucklehead, a tough combination to work with," the manager interjected.

"That was uncalled for, man. So rude... Anyways, Kisaragi, do you know why? Why is this time the exception? It is because this team has grown on me. I know that what I'm saying here, unlike what the others said, is mostly driven by emotion, and I'm not giving you any logical arguments. But, I trust my gut feeling. And right now, it's telling me to fucking stick with you guys, and to fight for this group with my life. And I owe you an explanation at the very least. Not just you," Tsubasa looked at the rest of the teenagers and continued, "everyone else too. I think I need to tell you all something important. I got angry, but it was mostly at myself. It's why I keep getting paralyzed with fear or hesitation today. Thing is, I — I kind of — I — I — I had a —," she was struggling to speak about her trauma.

She swallowed before attempting again, postponing the mention of the most important part. "Aoki, you said we're strong, you included me in that list, but I am not as formidable as I might look. I just keep appearances to hide my insecurities. In reality, I am very, very weak. Kisaragi, your assessment of me was correct, but you're wrong about the rest, for they are tough, super tough. Not only physically, but, the strength of their spirit and mind is something I keep being blown away by. You would be making a huge mistake underestimating them. That type of strength is something rare, and it is what I lack, and what I strive for. I am physically quite capable, but I am mentally weak. I am not afraid of the dangers ahead, of those dumbass Skill Outs, or of the esper we faced, or any of our enemies. They can all fucking burn in hell for all I care. I only freeze in certain situations because — because of internal feelings of inadequacy, powerlessness, loneliness, and — and — and grief..."

"I — I actually — I — I had — I had a friend —" A crystal clear liquid began to trickle down on her cheeks. Her voice wavered as she let out a nervous chuckle while trying to force a strained smile on her face. "He died... The feeling of loss... still haunts me."

Aizawa was listening closely throughout all of her explanation. He now understood the young girl a lot better. Many of her weird quirks, even trivial things she did when dealing with him in the past or with the rest of the dance team, her delinquent tendencies, or even her behavior at school, came into frame nicely. Whilst he knew more or less of the general idea that she had lost someone in the past, she never told him in such detail how she felt, or what the ramifications of the loss were on her psyche. But he could tell, that even now, at the very end, she skimmed over the most hurtful part, and didn't dwell on it. She avoided getting into the details of the incident itself, of how she lost her friend.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guy Li Tue May 31, 2022 8:39 pm

The atmosphere of that room crackled with an unbearable tension like a prickly heat. The air was dense and heavy and it pressed down on Reina like a smothering blanket, swamping her and muting the words that were being flung around. A dazzling, blinding array of colours burned into her vision as their tempers flared. The scene became an oil painted tableaud dominated with crimson anger and the deep black-blue of sorrow.

She groaned, crushing her eyelids tight to block it out but it wasn't her eyes seeing the colours. They bled through her eyelids nonetheless. Reina pressed her palms to her temples, fighting against the splitting sensation that worked its way, saw-like between the hemispheres of her brain and she sank to her knees, curling up as tight as her body could manage.

"Hey. You okay?" Guy called into the other room for Misaki. When no response was forthcoming he peered his head cautiously around the corner. He didn't want to be accused of lechery (yet again) but her half-finished sentence had not escaped his notice. Seeing her against the wall he approached quietly. She was still breathing and when he placed a finger to her neck he could feel a regular pulse. Exhaustion then. It seemed that even a Level 5 had limits. He slipped his coat over the cast of his right arm and draped it over her sleeping form before taking a seat beside her.

"Yeah. Same here." He sighed and drew a cigarette from the pack in his pocket. "You don't mind, right?" He asked dryly before lighting it. He inhaled deeply. "It's all a bit much, isn't it?"

They'd already lingered here too long. Eventually the authorities would come. Questions would be asked. They'd be detained. And even in the best case, time would be lost. He couldn't leave her here.

"Okay. I'll humour you just this once. But this is getting to be a bad habit." As gently as he could manage with only one arm, Guy hooked Misaki's arms around his neck and took on the role of a beast of burden once more that night. His jacket would cover the bloodstans and provide a bit of modesty on the chance anyone should see them. He mentally rehearsed his cover story for hauling around an unconscious girl in a bunny outfit.

Needless to say, it wasn't very convincing.
Guy Li
Guy Li

Back to top Go down

Post  Kira Kohaku Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:55 am

In the end, Kohaku was the captive. Whether she was a hostage or not was another question entirely, but given the situation, there was a likelier answer out of the two choices. She was being played with and the smile on her captors face was so obviously forced, Kohaku could honestly not accept it in the slightest.

The girl took a deep sigh before looking down at the plastic water bottle that was opened and offered before her. Wasn’t like she could use her hands at this point, so she simply took a few sips the best she could. They wouldn’t try to poison her...yet.

Having had the stream of liquid going down her throat, she calmed herself a bit and thought for herself.

“Kohaku, 16. Occupation: Student. My interests include medical textbooks, anatomy, sweets, not athletics, and not being tied up.”

Well, first step was first. She needed to get herself a bit more comfortable. She was in no position to run and she knew better than to try and make a break for it the moment she got a modicum of freedom, but she still would rather that freedom.

“Perhaps show a bit of good faith by freeing up my hands, at least? I promise, I’m not one of the espers who can use crazy strength or shoot lightning. You’ll be in no danger from these scrawny arms.”

A bit dry, but it would suffice.
Kira Kohaku
Kira Kohaku
Level 4 Diagnosis Touch

Back to top Go down

Post  Aoki Aiko Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:56 pm

Aiko had never been as mad before as she was right now. She wasn't the type to get particularly upset at things, but as she was learning about herself recently, things that did manage to upset her, really upset her. At this point Aiko was burning with rage both figuratively and literally as the temperature in the room climbed above 45°C. Yet somehow, Kisaragi still seemed determined to make her ever more upset.

«Strong? Don’t make me laugh. It’s a miracle that you even made it this far. Don’t you see it? Because of your actions a lot of people died tonight. Innocents. And those that should have been more capable than any of you, too. Who is next? A grandma who accidentally happened to pass the scene? One of you girls? Or that glasses uncle? It’s time someone assumed responsibility for their actions. And that will be me. I’ll handle the rest. I’ll save Kohaku. I’ll take down these monsters. I’ll destroy it all. If I get hit in the process, so be it. So get out of my way.»

Aiko's composure, if you could even call it that, was nearing it's breaking point again. Static was causing her hair to stand on end while little bits of electricity arced between the tips. Somehow Kisaragi thought that by herself she could go marching into the enemy hideout, rescue someone, and leave without getting herself killed?!? Before Aiko could give her another piece of her mind however, Saito spoke up.

“I guess everyone's had a turn eh? I don't know anyone here well enough to speak for them, so I’ll just speak for myself. And first I have to say that I have no interest in dying, in fact, I would not still be here if I was not confident of making it out in relatively good health. But I should also be truthful about another reason I am staying, especially considering the present company. I fear we have all already gotten too involved to back down now. Given our adversaries’ resources, they probably know who we are and where we will be in our normal lives. They have already shown they are no strangers to violence, so for us- no, for me, the only way out is through. I have a personal interest in yours and this group’s success. I am acutely aware of my own limitations, but I know what I am good at, I am able to help. If you feel personally responsible for the terrible things happening around you, then do not let your stubbornness create more.”

As ever, Saito came at the issue with a logical approach. Though normally quiet, it was clear he was paying attention to every word that came out of everyone's mouths. Just hearing the logical way he spelled things out, gave Aiko a moment to take a deep breath to try and re-center herself.

"Kisaragi. I won't pretend I'm cool with what you said, because I'm not. I'm still bubbling with anger. But, I also agree with what everyone said, we need to fight together. None of us will survive on our own. We're a team. At least, that is what I hope. Believe it or not, I am not a team player, usually. This is a first for me. Haha, you can ask Aizawa-san here and he'll confirm it —"

"It's true, she's a lone wolf and a knucklehead, a tough combination to work with,"

"That was uncalled for, man. So rude... Anyways, Kisaragi, do you know why? Why is this time the exception? It is because this team has grown on me. I know that what I'm saying here, unlike what the others said, is mostly driven by emotion, and I'm not giving you any logical arguments. But, I trust my gut feeling. And right now, it's telling me to fucking stick with you guys, and to fight for this group with my life. And I owe you an explanation at the very least. Not just you, everyone else too. I think I need to tell you all something important. I got angry, but it was mostly at myself. It's why I keep getting paralyzed with fear or hesitation today. Thing is, I — I kind of — I — I — I had a —,"

There was a brief quiet moment as Tsubasa struggled to get out what had been bothering them. A moment to speak that no one took as Tsubasa seemed to take another breath and continue.

"Aoki, you said we're strong, you included me in that list, but I am not as formidable as I might look. I just keep appearances to hide my insecurities. In reality, I am very, very weak. Kisaragi, your assessment of me was correct, but you're wrong about the rest, for they are tough, super tough. Not only physically, but, the strength of their spirit and mind is something I keep being blown away by. You would be making a huge mistake underestimating them. That type of strength is something rare, and it is what I lack, and what I strive for. I am physically quite capable, but I am mentally weak. I am not afraid of the dangers ahead, of those dumbass Skill Outs, or of the esper we faced, or any of our enemies. They can all fucking burn in hell for all I care. I only freeze in certain situations because — because of internal feelings of inadequacy, powerlessness, loneliness, and — and — and grief... I — I actually — I — I had — I had a friend — He died... The feeling of loss... still haunts me."

There was silence as tears started to trickle down Tsubasa's cheek. In that moment, it was like a bubble had popped and all the built up emotions that Aiko had be feeling had rushed away. She was calm, and her friend was crying. Aiko walked over to Tsubasa and without a word wrapped her up in her arms to give the most comforting hug she could. It wasn't for long, but each second of the embrace felt like minutes. As Aiko broke away from the hug, she whispered something audible only to Tsubasa.

"You are strong."

Aiko then turned to face Kisaragi once more. This time, her voice calm and controlled.

"You know as well as I do if you go charging in there on your own in your condition, you'll die.  Sit down, rest for a bit, then we'll all go together. If you still intend to go by yourself, you'll have to go through me first. We both know you're stronger then I am, but in your condition, I will stop you."

Level 3 Electron Shell

Back to top Go down

Post  Kisaragi Anko Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:10 pm

So that was it? As the group clashed with Kisaragi Anko, she finally caught a glimpse at the underlying truth behind their motivation; especially that of the tomboy’s. Honestly, she hadn’t asked about a reasoning this detailed, nor did she deem it adequate. They weren’t friends. In fact, this just proved why they shouldn’t even have become acquaintances today.

Hearing Tsubasa’s words and seeing the support from her so called ‹friends›, gave the kunoichi a clear view of the situation. Moreso than before.

«So what?», she bounced back coldly right away. «What do you think happens in this world? People don’t live jollily until the end of days. Everything is a struggle. Even the foundation of your average normal life is carried by the sacrifice of others.» No mercy. No compassion. In this world there was no place for any of these anymore. «Can you imagine how many people die every day? Can you imagine how many have lost their friends or family? Just one of them, many, or even all? Car accidents. Illnesses. Any form of bad luck. It happens everyday just like that.»

Was she going too far? Was she sharing too much? Somehow, much like the one she was talking down upon, Kisaragi, too, lost control of what she was saying. Lost control of her own emotions she had kept buried behind that stone cold facade.

«Do you think you’re the only one who lost someone? Unlike you, it didn’t break me. I went right through it. Because if I hadn’t, I’d be dead in the gutter. Much like any of you will be if you continue this farce.» She let it out. Her voice becoming as fierce as her words. «Maybe some of you will survive, but surely someone will die. Maybe you. Maybe you. Or even you.» Pointing her finger at each of the three, she seemed as though she intended to pierce their hearts right that very moment.

«Can you tolerate any of these losses? Can you willingly risk the lives of your friends and allies? Can you shoulder the burden that is being responsible for their death?»

That was it.

«Because I sure as hell can’t. Too many people have died. Arimoto. The Haradas. Ichigo Ai. Nobody else will.»

That was the foundation of her conviction.

The roaring storm reflected in her razor sharp gaze.

«Try and stop me. But do not expect me to be gentle.»

She declared, stepping into Aoki’s perimetre.

A short moment of silence followed Kohaku’s question. A silence owed to the bold nature of the request. Clearly, it crossed a line she had no way of reaching. Or so that onlooker had expected.

«Oh sure. Hold still for a moment~!» And yet Marybeth accepted it, pulling out her combat knife to slash through the cable binders as though it was the most normal thing in the world to do. On top, she did it casually and kindly.

It was hard to hold back viewing it.

«What the hell are you doing?!» The shadow in the corner finally raised its voice in exasperation.

«Untying her, what else?» Still, it didn’t seem to phaze their underling at all.

«I did not give my permission to any of this. I accepted that your methodology is a bit extravagant, but this is going too far. You’ll tie her back up immediately, understood?» That person had become angry. Angry enough to break the mystification of their character. Instead, they were now highly intent on restoring the order of hierarchy.

However…

«Nah. It’s fine. Trust me.»

Marybeth didn’t show any interest in any of it. Instead she proceeded to cut the binders, carefully ensuring that the girl wouldn’t be hurt.

«Enough. I believe you’ve forgotten your position here.» That individual did not take a liking to the situation’s developements. «You are the puppet. I am the puppeteer. When I pull your strings you dance. When I don’t, you don’t flinch at all. That is all. And yet, you dare to disobey? Must I remind you of what is at stake for you?»

In response the mercenary sighed in annoyance. «Fine. Fine. Fiiiine. Kohaku-chan, hold still for a moment, yes?» A shift had come over her, as her jolly demeanour had been flushed down the drain. Instead, she now pulled back the knife from the last of the binders.

«One more misstep and that boy will end up at the bottom of the river. With you alongside him. Do you co–» And yet before the threat could even be uttered to completion, the shadowy figure’s forehead was pierced by the blade of the combat knife. A clean and lethal throw, executed within a split second. Struck by it completely unable to react, that person collapsed backwards. And when it crashed onto the floor, the shadowy aura dispersed revealing the body of a slightly chubby supermarket employee, you’d find anywhere.

With that out of the way, Marybeth couldn’t help but smile at Kohaku in great satisfaction. «I hope we can chat properly now, yes?»
Kisaragi Anko
Kisaragi Anko
A Certain Average Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Kira Kohaku Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:24 am

She didn’t know what she had expected when she made such a brash request, but a relatively quick accedence to it was far from the girl’s expectations. She could almost hardly believe what she was seeing but the cable binders restraining her were being cut one by one—much to the chagrin of the shadowy figure.

It was something that would inevitably turn into a large argument and though she had hands free, she dared not move at the sight of discord within the ranks. A single movement in an unstable situation could be enough of a spark to set off an entire explosion, much like a room filled with combustible gas.

And volatility took hold in an instant, claiming a life without remorse by the cold blade of a knife.

Her eyes widened. Her heart skipped a beat.

The concept of death was not one far from Kohaku. Yet, the act of witnessing the moment where death consumes someone would always shake a person to their very core, no matter how much they prepared their minds for it.

It was the moment when breath became air.

It was only a few meters away from Kohaku.

Moreover, it was like the color of the world had been completely shifted. The one who dominated prior had been dyed with the color of death while the one who caused that seemed to dominate.

Even as Kohaku’s limbs were free, she was hardly anywhere close to it.

“Why?”

She was fully aware of reality and the blood-dyed grounds she had invariably stepped into. Yet, she could not lose her cool. Not yet. Not yet.

“What’s the point of it? And I don’t mean simply the hostage-taking. Though answers would be nice on that front.”
With her now free hands, she gestured towards the corpse with its corpus callosum likely severed and its brain being compressed by the inordinate amount of blood flooding into the dura. “I mean all of this. The whole of it. The carnage and death. Whatever you’re doing here.”
Kira Kohaku
Kira Kohaku
Level 4 Diagnosis Touch

Back to top Go down

Post  Watabe Tsubasa Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:51 pm

The room had been gradually growing warmer. But in her mental state, Tsubasa did not notice at first. When the temperature dropped suddenly, only then did the girl notice the drastic change. Tsubasa was beginning to feel a chill, but it was soon interrupted and replaced by a newfound warmth. Aoki's consolation hug, even if it was just that - a consolation- meant a lot to her. It reminded her of how much things changed from back then. When Aoki muttered those encouraging words into her ear, Tsubasa could only crack a small grin. She had yet to be convinced, but she appreciated the other girl's confidence in her.

After calming down relatively enough to be able to see again, she noticed Reina was curled up, face tense. Was she having difficulty dealing wigh the hightened emotions at display? Tsubasa wondered.

Meanwhile, Kisaragi still didn't seem pleased. In fact, she looked to be even more hellbent on being a thorn in their side. She was stubborn. But the more she spoke, the more her true feelings leaked through her lips. Tsubasa felt like they were hearing very private thoughts that none of them were meant to learn about. But this did help her see the other girl's point of view better, and especially to relate to her experience and appreciate were she was coming from. She was a surviver. A true fighter.

Of course, survivor's guilt would push her to be this reckless and uncaring about consequences when it came to her own well-being. Tsubasa knew that too well from first hand experience. It was on Tsubasa to shred the fake skin. Even if she failed, she would try her damn hardest to get through to her somehow.

She was afraid of loss as well.

Kisaragi, after her antagonistic declaration, stepped closer to Aoki.

Quickly, Tsubasa jumped between the two.

"Stop!", she pleaded, looking straight through Kisaragi's eyes, peeking into her soul, "I am deeply sorry for the friends you've lost. I know how much mourning someone hurts. And I may not completely understand your degree of suffering, but I understand how scary the though of bearing such a burden and responsibility over death is. But we are not alone. We don't have to bear it alone. We can reply on the others this time around", Tsubasa declared as she threw a quick look towards the others as if she was asking for help from them to further elaborate on her promise.

Back to top Go down

Post  Saito Hirashi Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:33 am

«Maybe some of you will survive, but surely someone will die. Maybe you. Maybe you. Or even you.»

It had seemed Hirashi’s words had little effect on Miss Scary Eyes,  he was equally frustrated and relieved. Hirashi had worried he might have pushed too hard, potentially provoking a strong response, but it had seemed the others’ words were what Miss Scary Eyes fixated on. To make matters worse, Gown Girl, perhaps in response to the tension in the room, dropped to the ground and curled into a ball.

«Can you tolerate any of these losses? Can you willingly risk the lives of your friends and allies? Can you shoulder the burden that is being responsible for their death?»

Finishing her speech, Miss Scary Eyes aggressively stepped into Gown Girl’s personal space, but Mad Biker stepped in, thankfully. Hirashi was not sure if he could bring himself to get in Miss Scary Eye’s way physically, but at least he could help out with his words.

“I am fortunate to not have had much close dealings with death (although the past week is trying very hard to change that) but I do know from experience that shutting yourself in and going alone will not stop bad things from happening. You are right that sometimes disagreeable things happen to people who are not deserving, but only by facing that truth can you do something about it. If you simply close your eyes and ignore all the problems, that does not make the world a better place. If people around you fall despite your best efforts, then the blame is not on you, that burden should not be yours to bear.”
Saito Hirashi
Saito Hirashi
Level 2 Kinetic Flux

Back to top Go down

Post  Guy Li Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:38 pm

Like a tide turning, Reina felt the pressure of accumulated ill-will aleviate. The chaos of anger and regret clashing against each other like sparks lifted. A soft word from Aiko tamed Tsubasa's powerful current. A firm declaration from Saito levelled out the raging torrent. Where friction had been, something else now rose.

The strong emotions became a wall brought to bear against the woman, Kisaragi. A harmony and unity that her stubborn will could only break itself against.

And for the first time she could sense that stern woman's resolve waver. Was it a break in her armour? Or just fatigue in the face of all she'd been through? One can only fight alone for so long.

Reina bit her lip and remained silent.
Guy Li
Guy Li

Back to top Go down

Post  Aoki Aiko Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:45 pm

«So what? What do you think happens in this world? People don’t live jollily until the end of days. Everything is a struggle. Even the foundation of your average normal life is carried by the sacrifice of others. Can you imagine how many people die every day? Can you imagine how many have lost their friends or family? Just one of them, many, or even all? Car accidents. Illnesses. Any form of bad luck. It happens everyday just like that. Do you think you’re the only one who lost someone? Unlike you, it didn’t break me. I went right through it. Because if I hadn’t, I’d be dead in the gutter. Much like any of you will be if you continue this farce. Maybe some of you will survive, but surely someone will die. Maybe you. Maybe you. Or even you. Can you tolerate any of these losses? Can you willingly risk the lives of your friends and allies? Can you shoulder the burden that is being responsible for their death?»

Wait... Ichigo Ai is dead. The news took Aiko by surprise for a moment but she could process that later. Kisaragi had made her declaration that she would rather fight here than accept the help of others. With that declaration, she stepped forward to accept Aiko's challenge. In sync with Kisaragi's step forward, Aiko reached down and drew the gun hidden under her skirt and pointed it directly at Kisaragi. Kisaragi would likely be able to tell that the gun was aimed at her shoulder, likely for a non lethal shot, but that was a bluff. The gun was still empty, though Kisaragi wouldn't know that. With her other hand Aiko pulled the laser pointed out of her pocket and steadied herself to fight. However, Tsubasa jumped between the two of them before blows could start flying.  

"Stop! I am deeply sorry for the friends you've lost. I know how much mourning someone hurts. And I may not completely understand your degree of suffering, but I understand how scary the though of bearing such a burden and responsibility over death is. But we are not alone. We don't have to bear it alone. We can rely on the others this time around"

Taking advantage of Tsubasa's interruption, Aiko took a few steps back to put a bit more distance between her and Kisaragi so if needed a laser could actually be fired. She was much better at fighting from range after all. Though further back, Aiko kept the gun level and aimed at Kisaragi.

“I am fortunate to not have had much close dealings with death (although the past week is trying very hard to change that) but I do know from experience that shutting yourself in and going alone will not stop bad things from happening. You are right that sometimes disagreeable things happen to people who are not deserving, but only by facing that truth can you do something about it. If you simply close your eyes and ignore all the problems, that does not make the world a better place. If people around you fall despite your best efforts, then the blame is not on you, that burden should not be yours to bear.”

"Tsubasa, step back. That's a very dangerous spot to be standing."

Aiko had no doubt that Kisaragi would have no qualms about disabling Tsubasa to get to her, but Aiko hopped she realized that if she tried Aiko would attack in that opportunity.

"Kisaragi, listen to all of them. We're a team. We help each other, and part of that is trying to keep each other safe. I know you don't want people to die, but at the same time I don't want you to die. If you go in there alone you will die, and then I'll have lost two teammates. Stand down Kisaragi, you're either going with all of us, or your not going at all. I don't mind hurting you if it means you won't die."

Level 3 Electron Shell

Back to top Go down

Post  Kisaragi Anko Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:22 am

The situation had been under control. Kisaragi Anko understood all she needed to do from the moment Aoki Aiko had pulled out the gun. Given everything she knew, it likely was a bluff. After all, the girl’s other hand had wandered towards a laser pointer; a weapon strongly tied to her ability. The gun shot would be the feint, the laser the actual attack. All she needed to do was either dodge the bullet or take it – the Shed Shell body armour could at least reduce the damage. As for the laser: The conditions had fallen into place the moment Tsubasa had stepped between the two of them. There was no way Aoki Aiko would take chances, if it resulted in her accidentally hurting her friend. Kisaragi only had to dive at her from an angle where she couldn’t fire at her without that dangerous possibility. From there she would have to grab her target’s friend and use her as a human shield, perfectly swaying left and right in her movement to minimise her own openness. All it’d then take was close the distance, make it past the shield, move in close and dismantle her teammate with a single strike, either to face, neck, windpipe or solar plexus.

But that was only a big ‹what if?›, existing in a reality where she wasn’t cornered by the words spoken towards her.

«I don’t care if I die. In fact, I should have died back then and there.» She shot back immediately, not allowing for her weakness to fall on display openly. This was conviction. «Neither is it my fault that they died. But if I can, I want to prevent anyone else from sharing that fate. You people shouldn’t die. You should be able to go back to your normal lives and live freely. This isn’t your world. It should have never become that. Nor should it continue to be it.»

This had been why she chose to fight them in the first place. This had also been why she had acted to defend others. With Hirashi Saito. With Kohaku. Now with all of them. She always had sought to protect them from the world she wandered. As she had said, they were normal people. People who deserved happy peaceful lives as they were supposed to have from birth.

Yet, this world was merciless.

Too merciless.

Could she really help them achieve that alone?

What if she died? Would any of this stop?

No.

They would keep coming. They would keep chasing them. Even if she left to finish matters tonight. In the meantime the enemy could and likely would come. No matter the choice she made, things would always pile up against her. She couldn’t win. Never.

They were right in what they said, but they still didn’t see the bigger picture.

Something she did. Something that worried her more than anything else.

These were good people. The way they fought to convince her. The way they had fought to defend the girl.

She couldn’t risk them. At the same time, she didn’t know how to better defend them, than…

«Fine. I fold.»

It was still mechanic, devoid of any weakness in her voice. Just a declaration she made at the same level of tension as she had carried all along.

Picking up on the change in Kohaku’s demeanour, Marybeth acted quickly by cutting the final binder with another knife – this time a throwing type – she’d pull from her gear. «Come. Let’s not stay here.» From there she would make sure to quickly guide the girl out of the room, leaving her fellow mercenary behind with the corpse. There was no need to tell him what to do, did they have protocol for these kinds of situations. This wasn’t a first after all.

«It’s survival. While the modern world doesn’t seem to follow that rule, survival of the fittest has never died out completely.» Now out in a tight corridor, the one eyed lady continued in a softer tone. One that audibly sought adequacy to the heavy topic. «It’s been like that all our lives, but now it’s even more about any of that. For us, at least, it’s about surviving and getting out of here. What it is for those above us, I have no clue. I can’t really tell you much about the current operation. They didn’t feed us that info yet. Maybe I’ll know soon; now that I’m bound to climb up.» She dove into an external monologue instead of keeping it short and consistent. Maybe she, too, was overcome by her emotions that very moment. Or she understood that telling the girl wouldn’t hurt at all, given that she wouldn’t have much time to share it with anyone else.

«All I know is that we were fucked anyway. I killed him, because he would have killed us and him. So I had to step up and deal with the thing myself. There’s no way I’d let any of my boys and girls die. Not for some shitbag like that’s whim. It’s bad enough that so many were lost already…» Marybeth was fighting to protect her people. Although her methods did not match the part, her intentions where somewhat pure. «You see, these guys, they’re the only family I’ve got left. And I’m theirs. It’s just that the profession we chose sucks and that we can’t escape its clutches.»

There was quite the bitterness in her voice as she spoke.

Remorse. Regret. Pain. The true emotions of one who lived this kind of life long enough.
Kisaragi Anko
Kisaragi Anko
A Certain Average Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Watabe Tsubasa Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:59 pm

Saito thankfully intervened and said what was basically on Tsubasa's mind but failed to put into words. She was not really an eloquant speaker. She often didn't know how to properly articulate her thoughts. She was grateful for the presence of the others here. They would probably be able to reach Kisaragi better than her.

Or so she thought, before realizing the tension seemed to be building again between the two girls surrounding her.

"Tsubasa, step back. That's a very dangerous spot to be standing." Aoki told her.

She assumed that standing between them would stop both from acting, but Aoki's warning made her realise that this was naught but a misguided naive attempt. These two seemed to be in a world of their own for a prief minute. Tsubasa was starting to feel intimidated by the sheer pressure, and she felt as though this conflict outclassed her by a long shot. She truly hoped things wouldn't escalate and shift to a physical conflict. She didn't know if she'd be able to to react on time if Kisaragi would try using her as a shield against Aoki's gun and laser. Before she even had the opportunity to properly build a plan of action, Kisaragi's attitude had a subtle change once again. This time, her intentions were made clear, at last. Her words conveyed her convinctions properly, and Tsubasa finally understood where the girl was coming from. But, unexpectedly, her monologue ended on a note that took Tsubasa by surprise, although it was a pleasant one.

«Fine. I fold.»

'Uh. She... what?'

Kisaragi had stopped resisting them.

That was a relief, if somewhat anti-climactic, Tsubasa thought. She was truly convinced the two girls would not shy away from violence to prove their point.

Thankfully, the worse was avoided however.

When Tsubasa finally relaxed, she fell on the ground.

'Woops, I relaxed too much there.' She sat up, still on the ground. She let a heavy sigh of relief.

"Whew! That was intense! You two were on fire! I swear I felt sparks flying in the air! I thought I was a goner! Hahahaha!" She cackled heartily, though still a bit dazed and fatigued from all the previous crying. She hurriedly rubbed her puffy eyes and sniffed, and just as quickly, a genuine grin decorated her countenance. She had just realised how lucky she was to have her friends.

Back to top Go down

Post  Saito Hirashi Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:48 pm

«Fine. I fold.»

Miss Scary Eyes’ words were cold and tense, her demeanour was like the sheathing of a blade, safe for the moment but its sharp edge remains. Contrary to Miss Scary Eyes’ continued wariness and razor like focus, the Mad Biker visibly relaxed. It was a fairly obvious deduction for Hirashi, given how Mad Biker was on the ground and all.

‘Woops, I relaxed too much there.'
"Whew! That was intense! You two were on fire! I swear I felt sparks flying in the air! I thought I was a goner! Hahahaha!"

At least nobody is going to get shot or have their neck snapped today…

Hirashi thought as he looked on at the others as always, but this time he felt something different as he watched Mad Biker’s face go from tense to tired to what as far as he could tell, a genuine smile. It was the first time he had seen someone who wears their heart on their sleeves to that extent. Even Hoodie Girl, as someone who is a part of the dark side of Academy City, shares that trait to an extent; Hirashi saw the cold calculations reflected in Miss Scary Eyes’, well, scary eyes when Mad Biker jumped in, that tracksuited girl believed in Hoodie Girl would risk her own life to avoid harming her friend.

Hirashi had always thought of such displays as weakness, as something that can be used against you. But seeing the interaction between the restrained Miss Scary Eyes and the emotions of Mad Biker and Hoodie Girl burning bright on display, Hirashi could not help but feel a slight twinge of envy. While Miss Scary Eyes’ stoic affectation mirrored his own, the other two owned their feelings and took pride in it, declaring it to the people around them. Hirashi wondered if that really was weakness, or was it strength? Having the courage to declare what you believe and staying by it regardless of circumstance, this was something he could not do.

Hirashi looked on at Gown Girl, who is recovering now that the atmosphere had relaxed, judging from her behaviour, she seemed to be sensitive to people’s thoughts and emotions. The exact kind of stimuli that is fed back to her was still a mystery to Hirashi, but it was defined enough and strong enough for her to navigate with it and be hurt by it. Hirashi wondered what he looked like to her, he wondered whether she could answer his question.
Saito Hirashi
Saito Hirashi
Level 2 Kinetic Flux

Back to top Go down

Post  Kira Kohaku Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:13 am

Despite the tornado of questions she had expended in response to the sight she saw, she received not one answer initially. Instead, the last restraint fell off, having been sliced by a throwing knife. Before she could even react to her limbs no longer being bound, she was beckoned to follow the mercenary—Marybeth—out of the room.

There was a corpse left behind and there was still someone else left in the room. It felt like her heart was being dragged across a piece of unsanded wood. But she could not stay back. No matter how much she wanted to, it was not worth it. A life had expired and the remnants would be disposed of, likely in some way that would never allow them to be found again. There was nothing left for her here.

Biting her lips, clenching her fist, she followed behind Marybeth as best she could. As she walked, she listened to Marybeth the best she could.

“Bound to climb up, even though you took out your superior?” Kohaku couldn’t help but ask as soon as Marybeth had brought it up. “I don’t really know anything about how this shady stuff works, but doesn’t that usually signify betra—”

But she cut herself off the moment Marybeth spoke further.

All I know is that we were fucked anyway.

And there was the kicker. Kohaku couldn’t be sure how much of what she was saying was a morality play for the sake of inducing Stockholm Syndrome like she had heard earlier. However, there was a hint of genuine bitterness in the mercenary’s voice.

The strongest lies were the ones that were littered with fragments of truth. Perhaps, that emotion—one that could not be suppressed no matter how much the owner tried—was one of those fragments.

And so, Kohaku said the worst thing she could to someone mired in that sort of bitterness.

“There was never a route to just leave, was there?” It was as matter of fact as she could say it. “It just seems sad and torturous. Not just for you, but everyone else. Come to think of it, Anko-chan may be the same.”

The face of the girl who had been at the center of her involvement popped in her face as she had listened to Marybeth while they were on the run.
Kira Kohaku
Kira Kohaku
Level 4 Diagnosis Touch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guy Li Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:48 pm

«Fine. I fold.»

Simple words carried more weight. With that straightforward statement the precarious situation began to settle.

There was a thud of a body hitting the floor.

"Whew! That was intense! You two were on fire! I swear I felt sparks flying in the air! I thought I was a goner! Hahahaha!"

Once again, Reina found herself thankful for Tsubasa's easy-going attitude. The utter lack of self-seriousness was enough to douse the embers of tension that remained. If the level-headed Aiko was a sturdy rock, then Tsuabasa's levity was a life line. She opened her eyes slowly and by chance met Saito's gaze and the muted shades of his emotional signature. When everyone else was losing their balance, he was steady as ever. The colours of doubt and confusion dominated, but they were subdued, almost unwavering.

And she found a certain comfort in that.

Even if he was struggling, he was still holding on. Sometimes putting up a false front was necessary.

Looking to Kisaragi, Reina found the courage to speak.

"So, what do you think we should do?" She was no longer a girl cowering in fear and looking for someone to save her. But if this woman was the expert she claimed to be, then it would be worth hearing her out.
Guy Li
Guy Li

Back to top Go down

Post  Aoki Aiko Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:08 pm

«I don’t care if I die. In fact, I should have died back then and there. Neither is it my fault that they died. But if I can, I want to prevent anyone else from sharing that fate. You people shouldn’t die. You should be able to go back to your normal lives and live freely. This isn’t your world. It should have never become that. Nor should it continue to be it.»

From Aiko's perspective, it seems like Kisaragi's shell was about to break. More and more slipping through the façade she kept up. Aiko was about to push back against her again, tell her how they both knew that this world, while not for the others, is where Aiko would have to stay. It doesn't let people go that easily. However, before she had the chance to say anything...

«Fine. I fold.»

Despite Kisaragi giving in, somehow the tension in the room didn't seem to lift until Tsubasa fell to the ground.

"I think there were some sparks there, sorry about that. I don't usually lose my cool like that."

Aiko then took a deep breath to re-center herself. Hopefully as things had calmed down a bit, weapons wouldn't been needed so Aiko slipped her gun back into it's holster and put her laser back in her pocket.

"So, what do you think we should do?"

"I think we were discussing the best method to get Dr. Reiner's files on Kurama."

Level 3 Electron Shell

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next